Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The sustainability of this defense...
(11-07-2023, 11:00 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I can't say I'm "worried" about this defense, but I think it's worth talking about.

This defense has been good, but they haven't been "good" in the traditional sense. A BIG part of why they are good is because of turnovers, and red zone turnovers at that.

They are currently in the bottom 5 of the league in pass and rush yards given up per game. They are also in the bottom 1/4 of the league in total yards given up per game. Statistically, they aren't as good as they were last year where they hovered right around league average in yards given up per game.

Now they are only giving up 20 points per game this year compared to 20 last year, so that is about the same. The big reason for giving up such a low number of points is because of those red zone turnovers, though.  

I am just wondering how sustainable this "bend don't break" style of defense is going to be. IMO -a lot of those red zone turnovers are as much luck as they are "players making plays". I just hope we can tighten up our defense overall and not have to rely on turnovers to stop teams from scoring...because it will eventually catch up.

They are giving up 20.3 ppg. 12th in the league. They are less than 1 ppg away from being 8th. All this despite the offense completely stinking for the first 4 games, and the second halves of the first 6. And starting a rookie CB with Chido working his way back, a first year starter at FS and Nick Scott at SS. 

While it is certainly true we lack a true shutdown CB1, and a legit #2 pass rusher, and have had some tackling issues. At the same time, Turner and Dax Hill have both been good. As has Battle in limited snaps. Chido is working his way back. Murphy is improving. And CTB might be getting close to CB1 status. He did a great job on DJ Metcalf and the Bills were scheming to get Diggs away from him (the TD was on Turner). 

Wilson leads all NFL linebackers in INT since he's been in the league. That seems sustainable. Pratt has been making big PO plays for years now..The punch last game. The pick vs SF. The Kelce strip. The pick vs the Raiders. I mean, that looks sustainable. Hendrickson is a sack/strip master. And we have Lou. 

We are not the '86 Bears or the Steel Curtain, but these guys are a good defense. Give us a legit #2 pass rusher to pair with Trey (especially inside, but Murphy might do), a real CB1 (healthier Chido/improving CTB/Turner) and better S play (Battle for Scott?) and I think we are there. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The sustainability of this defense... - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 11-07-2023, 04:36 PM