Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redrafting the 2024 draft - What other combinations?
(05-13-2024, 05:53 PM)puddycat Wrote: No, they don't.  Drafting is about getting the best players available who can help your team play on game day.
Starting a drafted player that plays significantly below average for their position doesn't mean that the team got value.  It means that the team can't draft or sign enough good players.  Also, picking a player to sit them on the bench means the team isn't getting value either.  And whether they are injured, developing, or just not good enough doesn't matter.

But not all players will be able to hit the ground running in their first year of playing.
Some (Most) take multiple years.

What if the player you selected on Day 2 ends up really coming along in Year 3, but you decided to already invest another early pick into that position because that player didn't play great in Year 1?
Now you could have potentially 2 really good players for 1 spot, thereby forcing one of them to the bench, and ultimately "wasting" that draft pick that could have instead gone to another position of better value.

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but you don't want to give up on a draft pick too soon.
I realize that does incur some risk because a player may not come along, but add a stopgap veteran if you need/want rather than using another valuable early draft pick.
That's my stance and approach, anyway.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Redrafting the 2024 draft - What other combinations? - ochocincos - 05-13-2024, 06:18 PM