Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to Saturday's game? Ticketmaster issues
(08-08-2024, 08:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, I won't claim to be a technology expert because I most definitely am not. What I can say is I have a very close family friend who is a Cyber Security officer in the US Space Force (transferred over from the Air Force) and what she has told me and all her family members is don't have any banking or credit card information on your phone, and never ever use an Iphone. Why, I can't say because I don't know.

When a card is stored on iPhone, the actual card information isn't stored. Instead, a brand new number is created called a DAN (Device Account Number) via a token service. This information is encrypted. When you pay using Apple Pay, your card information isn't sent to the vendor. Instead, the DAN is sent which then sends it to the vendor bank and the vendor bank submits a request to the token service which takes the DAN and returns the card information to the card network which then sends a payment request to the cardholders bank. It is incredibly secure, significantly more secure than carrying physical cards/cash. If someone were to obtain the DAN somehow, they wouldn't be able to do anything with it as the DAN isn't real card information. It's an encrypted, tokenized alternate card that represents your card. However, without running the information through the token service and requisite card network it is completely useless. Put more simply...

1. You walk into a store and buy some items. When the cashier tells you how much you owe, instead of paying with real money, you hand them a monopoly dollar. This dollar has identifying information that can be tied back to only you. 
  2. The store takes this monopoly dollar and sends it to their bank. 
  3. The bank then sends this dollar to a monopoly dollar manager. The monopoly dollar manager sends it to a translator who takes this dollar in and confirms that it matches all of the necessary details. 
  4. The translator sends it back to the monopoly dollar manager with information on how to contact your bank and get a real dollar. 
  5. They do so and a real dollar is delivered to the store, directly from your account. 
Your main concern is simply to protect your monopoly wallet (iPhone). If someone were to look at one of your monopoly dollars and get information from it, it would be useless without the actual dollar itself as that needs to be passed through the manager and translators. All of this happens digitally through incredibly secure channels and instantaneously. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Going to Saturday's game? Ticketmaster issues - KillerGoose - 08-08-2024, 12:37 PM