Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of the Kickoff/Punt
(08-08-2024, 05:49 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I guess I'm more on the indifferent side.

I think it would be more exciting to force teams to go for it.

But I don't mind kickoffs/punts either. There are some entertaining kickoffs once in awhile in terms of onside kicks and house calls.

If I do have a stance, it is to make the game as straight-forward as possible and limit the potential for confusion.
A lot of rules recently add more confusion into the game (for example, what is and isn't a catch, the hip drop tackle, etc.).

I'm not sure why they even call it football to be honest. 
There was already a sport with the same name for one.
And two, the game is primarily played with your hands.
I always wondered why they didn't just call it soccer instead of changing the name of football to soccer, and then taking the name football.
Or they could have come up with another name.
To me it seems like the game takes a lot from Rugby, and has a lot of concepts in it that make it like war.
Maybe a name that has something to do with war would fit better.
At the same time, stealing the name of another game and calling it your own is very fitting for a game that is similar to war metaphorically.

It's an incredibly brutal game with a high likelihood of injury.
To go away from the physical aspect of the game goes against the original design of the game.
I think the NFL should just own up to it being a dangerous sport like the UFC does.

Sigh, 
They call it football  because the game  comes from both Rugby and association football(soccer). All three sports are properly called football. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Future of the Kickoff/Punt - J24 - 08-10-2024, 02:57 PM
RE: Future of the Kickoff/Punt - J24 - 08-12-2024, 04:49 PM