Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
We're making the playoffs
(Yesterday, 03:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let me start by saying I get it. I get that the default option for Bengals fans is doom and gloom.  I get there have only been like 4 teams in the history of the NFL to start off 0-3 and make the playoffs.

But, even if the defense does NOT improve, we're making the playoffs this year and here's why I think that: our offense is good enough to win shootouts. In addition, a lot of teams on our schedule do not have good offenses; that even with our shitty defense, we should still not have trouble out-scoring them. In fact, I think a big issue for our defense is mobile QBs. Jayden Daniels picked up a lot of 1st downs with his legs as he did his best Lamar Jackson impression (except Jayden showed he's actually really good at throwing the ball accurately). So, even if our defense doesn't improve we only have to worry about facing teams with running QBs. That's currently the Ravens (twice) and the Eagles. Maybe the Steelers, but I think by the time we play them Russ will be starting and he's not as mobile as he used to be.

With that said, I see hope for improvement. Our defense did a really good job against the Chiefs (DPI notwithstanding). I don't know what the issue with tackling is, but it wasn't an issue against KC so I can see that improving immediately. Aside from that, we were missing our starting DTs. Don't know the timeframe for when they're coming back, but they'll be back. Then we got other DLmen that will be joining this defense in Murphy, Jenkins and Jackson. Soon. Granted, not only are they coming back from injury - 2 are also rookies. But promising rookies nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, at best, I think our defense will be mediocre, but I don't think it'll be the worst defense ever either.

So, I think the Ravens will probably sweep us and the Eagles will beat us. And we'll most likely lose at least 1 against the Steelers just because they're the frickin' Steelers. But I think we'll beat most of the other teams we'll face even if it's by just outscoring them. I see us ending with 10-11 wins assuming only a little defensive improvement which should be enough to get a Wild Card game if not the division depending on how the season goes for our divisional rivals.

And if we make the playoffs off the back of our offense ... I know defense wins championships, but, well, 0-3 teams also don't make the playoffs, right? Do you pick up what I'm putting down? (Can't wait for rfaulk's response to that question)

WHO DEY!

Let me sugarcoat this BS with something else. If we beat Andy Sunday, we are 1-3. Same place we were in last year after week 4 where we probably would have made the playoffs had we had Burrow all the way. WTS, it's still pretty high expectations. Plus, Zac is 12-18 against AFCN teams. I pray we can take 1 from the Steelers, but not banking on it. That's not being a negative Nancy either. It's just the way it is.

Not saying it's impossible, but a lot of things have to go right, and the refs need to get off our junk!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
We're making the playoffs - PhilHos - Yesterday, 03:42 PM
RE: We're making the playoffs - Synric - Yesterday, 03:56 PM
RE: We're making the playoffs - PhilHos - Yesterday, 05:01 PM
RE: We're making the playoffs - PhilHos - Yesterday, 05:02 PM
RE: We're making the playoffs - jj22 - Yesterday, 04:17 PM
RE: We're making the playoffs - PhilHos - Yesterday, 05:07 PM
RE: We're making the playoffs - PhilHos - Yesterday, 05:08 PM
RE: We're making the playoffs - PhilHos - Yesterday, 05:10 PM
RE: We're making the playoffs - PhilHos - Yesterday, 05:11 PM