Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bengals need to suck it up, break the norm and make a damn trade
(10-01-2024, 05:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I know I know, but the Bengals don't make trades during the season (or ever, really).

Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. A little urgency would go a long way here. If this organization has really "changed" the way that they operate (they haven't) then they need to suck it up and trade a pick or two for some defensive line help. They just have to.

Yes the defensive line is about to get a bit healthier, but it's still not good enough.

How about trading the Dolphins for Calais Cambell? He's had a pretty good year so far and surely it wouldn't take too much to pluck him away from the Dolphins and their tanking season. A cheap vet on a one year deal is about as good as we can ask for.

Do it front office. Make a damn move and salvage what was supposed to be a Super Bowl season before its too late.

Here is the problem.  As per Collinsworth and others over the years, mid season NFL trades are not that easy to pull off.  

OK, Bengals could use help at DT and DB, but who is going to just hand Bengals a top DT or DB ?   

Who are Bengals going to trade in return.  Please don't suggest a bench player for a top starter.  Be realistic. 

It's easy to say make a trade, but this isn't the same as the baseball trade deadline and baseball town Cincinnati needs to know that. 

I hear there are injured players who may come back and help at DT and DB this season.  This may be where Bengals hopes to win some games will come from, Bengals returning from the injured list.  

I don't think that it's the Bengals who are opposed to trades.  It's just that NFL trade deadline is not as active as baseball trade deadline, never is, never will be. 

Also whoever you get has to fit the Salary Cap.  Baseball doesn't have to worry about that, but NFL teams do. 

NFL trades are fun for fans to talk about, but the reality is NFL trades are very hard to pull off during the season.  Now Bengals traded Carson Palmer sitting out for Draft Picks.  Raiders needed a QB, and were willing to give up future picks for Palmer who was refusing to play for Bengals.   So Bengals have made midseason trades, such as Paul Robinson for Charlie Joiner.  The problem is NFL midseason trades are very hard for owners to pull off. 

One type trade I'll never understand.  I've seen Reds trade players, but still have to pay Mega Millions in payroll to a player now with another team. To me that is just stupid.  The Raiders traded Carson Palmer to Arizona but still had to pay him.  How nice for Arizona, how stupid by the Raiders.  I'll never understand teams paying Mega Millions still to a player they traded as part of the trade, to me that is bad business, paying other teams players.  It drove The Raiders new owner and GM crazy when they saw how much the past owner was paying players like Palmer to play for other teams, and held back the new owners rebuilding plans until these awful contracts came off the books. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Bengals need to suck it up, break the norm and make a damn trade - kevin - 10-02-2024, 12:29 PM