Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bengals need to suck it up, break the norm and make a damn trade
(10-02-2024, 12:29 PM)kevin Wrote: One type trade I'll never understand.  I've seen Reds trade players, but still have to pay Mega Millions in payroll to a player now with another team. To me that is just stupid.  The Raiders traded Carson Palmer to Arizona but still had to pay him.  How nice for Arizona, how stupid by the Raiders.  I'll never understand teams paying Mega Millions still to a player they traded as part of the trade, to me that is bad business, paying other teams players.  It drove The Raiders new owner and GM crazy when they saw how much the past owner was paying players like Palmer to play for other teams, and held back the new owners rebuilding plans until these awful contracts came off the books. 

This was not stupid just because you do not understand.  The Raiders did NOT pay Carson after they traded him.  The Raiders restructured Palmer's contract in 2012, they flipped his contact from salary to a signing bonus so they could prorate the amount over multiple years instead of having such a high cap hit that season.  Palmer received every bit of that money immediately.  

The Raiders traded Palmer the next season but still had the prorated amount on the books, it did not cost them any cash, but was counted against their salary cap as dead money.  The dead cap was $9M, it did not hold the Raiders back.
Determinator of Takes
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Bengals need to suck it up, break the norm and make a damn trade - casear2727 - 2 hours ago