Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontaze Burfict: 'I have to change' with game
(02-23-2016, 12:30 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Couple of things.....

He's flat out wrong that it was his number that got him flagged on the Brown hit. I could've been been out there wearing a number -6 jersey and I would've gotten flagged for that hit. He blasted him in his head with his shoulder as he was defenseless and going across the middle. (Bengal fans, this is where you chime in and bring up Shaziers hit) Any player on any team at any time is going to draw a fine and a flag for that hit, 100% of the time. (Bengal fans, missed calls do not change facts nor do they justify actual penalties)

He's right about it being a bang-bang play and that Brown was dipping his body and that's why he caught his head, but the NFL doesn't care about that and has said as much. The onus is on the defensive player to not hit him is the head or while he's defenseless regardless of what the WR does. It sucks but that's the way the NFL is calling it. EVERY team has been burned by that call at some point, you just have to deal with it.

Which leads to point #2. He sounds frustrated about how to play the game. And he's right. He doesn't want to hit low so he goes higher but Brown dips and he hits his head and he draws a penalty anyway. Us Steelers fans went thru this several years ago with James Harrison almost to a tee. It is unfair to defensive players, but again it's how the league is calling it in their attempt to change the way the game is played for player safety.

Actually the Shazier hit proves his point. If that was Burfict that delivered the hit Shazier did, it's 15 yards instantly.  That's just the way it is with Burfict now, anything close on a bang bang play is instantly 15 yards, even when it's clean.

And before all you yinzers start on about Shazier not being flagged and it wasn't a foul....

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Nelson-hopes-to-return-as-combine-opens/3c1747a6-9293-44ba-802b-d2d0cda7a95f

Scroll to the bottom and read where a former NFL player who played for both teams talks about this very topic:

"He says Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier’s hit that knocked Bengals running back Giovani Bernard out of the game with a concussion in the third quarter not only should have been flagged as an illegal hit to the head, but it was more malicious than Burfict’s play.

“I want to put it into context for fans,” Wilcots says, “why Vontaze Burfict plays like he plays against Pittsburgh. Because Pittsburgh has been playing that way against the Bengals forever.

So unless you claim to no more about the NFL than a guy who played in the league, there is no room for argument. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vontaze Burfict: 'I have to change' with game - Murdock2420 - 02-23-2016, 01:38 PM