Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Year Spending Period Due to Expire This Year
(02-27-2016, 02:05 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, I for one didn't know that this was for 4 years only. I remember it going into effect. I was thinking at the time that finally Mikey B will have to stop being such a tight wad.

I believe the Bengals response to the spending requirements was the Model Model philosophy announced in an article of the same name on 12 Mar 2012, which went on to say the team would work on signing its own free agents more and more. Here's a link: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Model-model/3efe5744-e768-4721-a66d-c2395cfe6f2d

The article was laughed at because the team had failed miserably when it came to signing their own free agents who turned out to be key guys on other teams. Remember Justin Smith, Jonathon Joseph and Eric Steinbach. The Bengals would always say that the other team "overpaid" but really it was the Bengals who were low balling the players. And, there were guys who just wanted away from Mike Brown period and there's a long list of those guys from the 1991 through 2011.

So, are you asking if Mikey B will return to his old ways? I don't think he will cause I don't think he can.

I think a new period begins, but I'm not sure whether it's 4 years again or if it's up for change.

It makes sense that it's done in windows though.  You can't do in individual years, because it isn't fair penalize teams for a year in which there's turnover.  And you can't go too much longer than four years either, because a number of the players that should be due money that went unspent would likely be out of the league.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Four Year Spending Period Due to Expire This Year - Wes Mantooth - 02-27-2016, 02:30 AM