Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right side of line WILL lose us games
(09-14-2016, 02:53 PM)3wt Wrote: Well you're right that they were running better than I thought, though they ran 5 times for 17 yards in the first half for an average of 3.4 yards a carry.   Hill started off with a 1 yard carry and the first possession was derailed by a 5 yard penalty putting them at 3rd and 5 - too long to run, and Dalton got sacked.

After the 2nd possession the passing game started to kick in mixing in Hill.  I couldn't open your twitter links (I don't have an account), but Hill was running well and had to have had lanes.

The second half was a more balanced attack with 13 passes to 11 runs (if you count Wright's disastrous reverse and Andy's 2 yard run).  If you count those we averaged 3 yards a carry.  If you don't count Wright's reverse (a call I hated) we were averaging 4 yards a carry.

I think that there are multiple ways to defeat pressure.  Screens are good and Zampeze used them, and running the ball is also good as long as they are not blitzing (which can defeat both the pass and the run).  Zamp did both in the 2nd half.

Pretty much my major complaint with Zampeze was the ill advised reverse.  The line just wasn't executing and the major culprits were Bodine and Zietler.  In Zietler's defense he had not had a lot of snaps with Bodine and Ogbuehi.  Og did pretty good for a guy who has not had a lot of snaps.  He'll improve.

So I concede the fact that they were running better than I thought - though Hill was looking pretty darn good.   I like the way Zampeze calls a game, and I think he'll get better as the year goes along.  He had a lot of problems to overcome.  The only possessions he didn't run at all in were the 2nd and the 5th.  One was complicated by a penalty and the other - started off with two passes and two consecutive sacks.   I'm thinking that a run might have been the better way to start  Ninja

My only surviving point is that I think Zampeze was not the cause of our failures out there today.  No OC is going to call a perfect game and all in all I think he did a good job.

The second half the game calling was definitely a bit more balanced, but I also disagreed with that reverse to Wright. Also didn't like the wildcat snapwith Wright at QB, but it got a first down so can't be mad.

There's going to be growing pains with Zampese, it's just a fact. But the Bengals HAVE to have a more balanced attack, especially with teams like the Steelers. Keep the offense off the field. They have the ball for only 25 minutes last game. You have to control the tempo against teams like this.

I just wasn't overly impressed with Zampese. But, it's going to take time for him to implement his game plan anyway. It's just a first impression. Can only hope he gets better and better as time goes on.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Right side of line WILL lose us games - wolfkaosaun - 09-14-2016, 04:36 PM