Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF OL rankings entering week 11
(11-17-2016, 06:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's the rub though. If you consider PFF's individual rankings to be flawed and a 'complete joke' as you've said many times, then it creates a problem when you want to insist that their unit rankings are any better. 

To come up with their unit rankings, individual rankings have to factor in. According to PFF (specifically concerning O-line rankings):

"This isn’t the result of which team has the best five players starting, but looks at every player who played a snap on the line, and measures how well they did their job."

Also, PFF rankings certainly have a degree of subjectivity and interpretation. From founder Neil Hornsby:

"It might even look to us like somebody made a mistake but then we look at it more closely maybe somebody besides him made a mistake and he was trying to compensate. I think we need a little closer analysis a lot of times. Sometimes the play calls or what was called on the line of scrimmage might be something that we’re not aware of. That could happen in any game. You think a player did something that he shouldn’t have done but maybe he got a call, a line call or a call from a linebacker or he thought the quarterback said something so he did what he thought was the right thing or maybe it was the right thing but that call shouldn’t have been made or should have been on the other side. But yeah, I think we need to be careful about what we’re evaluating."

So, either the general formula is flawed or it's not. You can say that unit rankings are better, but they are part of the same basic formula. You can't say part of it is a complete joke, and then try to sell another part as legit. Well, you can, but that argument probably won't be taken very seriously. 

I am pretty sure that the unit rankings are not just a compilation of individual rankings.  This same thing came up before when people accused me of picking and choosing when I would accept PFF rankings as valid.
I may be wrong, but do you have a link to explain how they come up with their unit rankings.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: PFF OL rankings entering week 11 - fredtoast - 11-17-2016, 07:09 PM
RE: PFF OL rankings entering week 11 - J24 - 11-17-2016, 06:38 PM
RE: PFF OL rankings entering week 11 - J24 - 11-17-2016, 09:22 PM