Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billings Interview Last Night
(12-20-2016, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Andrew Billings was the second hour guest on Dave Lapham and Lance McAllister's radio show last night.  I was walking my dog in the freezing cold while listening and I really liked a lot of what I heard.  Here are a few tidbits that I remember:

-He set the state records in Texas for power lifting in High School at 18 years of age.  He totaled 2010 lbs, with 500 bench, 805 squat, and 705 dead lift.  Wow.

-He chose Baylor over Texas and TCU largely because of how they wanted to use him on defense, and the fact that he knew Mack Brown was not going to be at Texas.

-He started his football career as an offensive lineman, and was offered to play on either side at Baylor, but he chose DT because he "was ready to hit some people".  More on this later.

-He relishes his role of "eating double teams".  When asked about playing next to a guy like Geno, he said that his job is to eat up double teams because "that's what I do" and free up the rest of the line to get after the QB.  Lapham was joking and asked if anyone ever tried to single him up and he said something to the effect of "that only lasted one play, then they would shift back".  

-The "silver lining" for him about his injury was that he has a year to fully recover from college and get healthy because he described how you basically go from Bowl game to combine prep to OTAs with no break in between, but that he was loving the first couple weeks of camp when he was there.  So, he was just trying to stay positive, but it was very disappointing and he hates watching the games when he wants to help so much. Lapham reminded the audience that even when double teamed, he still "gets a push" and he never goes backwards.  Billings just said "yes sir, that's what I do" and even offered that he had a good number of sacks and TFLs in college because he could sometimes split the double teams or if he was able to push two back and there was outside pressure, the QB or RB would try to escape up the middle and he could disengage and make the tackle.

Sure, this is all talk, but he was very well-spoken and seems very hungry to contribute next year.  His rehab is going great and he has began to run as a part of his rehab.  

The line about his also having experience at offensive line.  Could he be a rotational Guard in the goal line?  Sounds silly, but good luck stuffing him steelers.

I've always liked what i have seen of Billings. Love the write-up, lets hope good things for Billings next to Geno next year. Can you imagine drafting foster to roam behind those 2.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Billings Interview Last Night - SHRacerX - 12-20-2016, 08:34 AM
RE: Billings Interview Last Night - Bengalboy - 12-20-2016, 09:19 AM
RE: Billings Interview Last Night - Sled21 - 12-20-2016, 09:35 AM
RE: Billings Interview Last Night - jj22 - 12-20-2016, 12:51 PM
RE: Billings Interview Last Night - 3wt - 12-22-2016, 08:32 PM