Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you bring Andre Smith back?
(01-05-2017, 10:49 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Eh, but they could have been proactive and avoided letting him get to that point. Same thing happened with Jonathan Joseph. Signed for close to the same money but the Texans seemed more interested in having him. Why wait? Why not look at a good player and get them signed before it's a competition with other teams.

I know this is how i would do it.

I don't understand not being proactive. It would save the team money not having to compete for a player.

Edit: But this is not Madden either and it actually helped us out a couple times. We were going to pay MJ more than
Dunlap and settled for Dunlap for heck sake! Thank God that worked out for us with clearly the better End!

Also what Sled here is true as well. MLJ wanted #1 money and he was not worth it. We offered him too much IMHO.

(01-06-2017, 11:50 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It depends. Smirk

If the Bengals want to be a run-first team then bringing Andre Smith back makes eminently good sense because he is a defensive end-destroying outside linebacker-flattening road grader on run plays.  Once Andre left for Minnesota the Bengals immediately had issues running to the right.  The last time Jeremy Hill or Giovani Bernard broke a big run to the right was about a year ago.

However, if Cincinnati wants to predominantly become a passing offense, Andre Smith doesn't make sense to come back at right offensive tackle because spin moves from that direction get him turned around but...

...if Andrew Whitworth leaves to pursue a Super Bowl title, that leaves an open vacancy at left tackle and I would be open to bringing Andre back in that capacity.  Why?  It's his natural position, that's why!  At Alabama he was amazing at left tackle, much more mobile, and he kept his quarterback protected from the blind side.  That would put Jake Fisher at right tackle where he was effective on both pass and run plays so the offensive line in 2017 would presumably look like this:

LT: Andre Smith
LG: Clint Boling (or TJ Johnson)
C: TJ Johnson (or Pat Elflein)
RG: Kevin Zeitler
RT: Jake Fisher

This means saying bye-bye to Cedric Ogbuehi and Russell Bodine.

College is different than the NFL FIK. Whit better be back at LT, Andre would be a major downgrade there.

Also, the monster run against the Browns was to the right off Zeitler i am pretty sure.

Also, the Vikings sure had their problems running the ball this year, worse than us i am pretty sure.

Would love for us to draft Elfein or Toth at Center, just doubt it if we have PA, need to get rid of PA and everything will be better
and this might actually work. If we had say Munoz working with these guys it would be different but PA working with Andre at LT
instead of Whit, TJ Johnson instead of a talented C and Fisher at RT sounds like a worse season than last year.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you bring Andre Smith back? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM