Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TJ Johnson given a 2 year deal
(03-19-2017, 12:48 AM)samhain Wrote: I have a strange Kyle Cook premonition about this signing.  Unless Ogbuehi and Fisher take a dump on the field or Andre gets hurt, I take them at their word about Smith being the starting RG.  Now, if the two tackles don't make any progress or one sucks and the other is competent, then I see the Smith signing as insurance.  I wouldn't be surprised if he moves to RT if/when Ogbuehi looks like he did in 2016 and Fisher gets a crack at LT.  In that case, maybe TJ is the RG.

As for the Cook reference, I could see them punting on Rust Bucket Scrodine if he continues to suck in the last year of his rookie deal.  They did it with Ghiaciuc in 08 when they handed the job to Cook in Indy at the end of a lost season.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see TJ as the starting center when 2018 opens.

Mad respect on the reference, though I worry that you're playing chess with this team's mediocrity looking out for the next heartbreak so you're ready.  I hope though that they realize that they can't succeed this year if they have mediocrity at multiple positions.  Dre at RT, TJ at center, Ogbuehi improving to being mediocre at LT, ect...  So, hopefully one descent draft pick is part of that equation.  TJ has been groomed to be a utility C/G type, but they can draft a better prospect in the middle or even at RT with them sticking to Dre being a drive blocking weapon at RG rather than a band aid at RT...though I agree Fisher could very well have to play LT.  They have a lot of picks, and though the OL class a whole is rough they'll be in position to take a future starter type at G/C or maybe groom a mid round guy like FSU's Roderick Johnson as a RT in 2018.  I'd also hope for a Westerman or drafted center to be the starter in 2018 if Bodine doesn't dramatically improve.  For now though, lets be happy with depth and continuity from Johnson instead of fearing we'll be stuck with him for two years as a plan.       
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: TJ Johnson given a 2 year deal - jj22 - 03-17-2017, 04:47 PM
RE: TJ Johnson given a 2 year deal - jj22 - 03-17-2017, 05:06 PM
RE: TJ Johnson given a 2 year deal - TKUHL - 03-17-2017, 08:51 PM
RE: TJ Johnson given a 2 year deal - TKUHL - 03-18-2017, 02:30 AM
RE: TJ Johnson given a 2 year deal - kevin - 03-18-2017, 06:37 AM
RE: TJ Johnson given a 2 year deal - kevin - 03-18-2017, 06:19 AM
RE: TJ Johnson given a 2 year deal - phil413 - 03-20-2017, 04:48 AM