Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Derek Barnett Really That Good?
(04-10-2017, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Barnett has a skill that is difficult to quantify:  bend.  He can lower his shoulder and be bent one direction while his legs stay under him and he drives through a blocker that gets too high.  He then can set up an inside move with a swim-over.  He has a good variety of moves (I am done watching MJ go on a huge arc and get ridden 10 yards out of the play time after time) and incredible flexibility.  I also like his hunter's mentality.  He takes his performance seriously and he hates losing.  I want a bunch of guys like that.

Finally, you don't break Reggie White's record at UT for sacks by being lucky.  Great production against some of the best players in college football.  

Barnett isn't going to wow you with 40 times, bench press, etc.  but he WILL get pressure from the outside.  

That is one of the better arguments for drafting Barnett that I've seen on here.  Nice job, well written.

(04-14-2017, 03:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lance Zuelien was on Sirius today talking about Barnett. Thinks he'll drop into the second half of the 1st Rd. Lack of raw tools (athleticism/length, ect...)

I'm in the crowd that was high on him, then I cooled a bit.  I watched a good bit of his bowl game this year, and he looked good, not fantastic.  I had trouble rationalizing what all the fuss was about.  Then I watch Demarcus Walker playing against a very good Michigan OL, and I'm just blown away. 

I'm not saying that Barnett isn't as good as his career numbers would imply, or that Walker is somehow better than Barnett.  The conclusion I draw to is that Walker seemed to be one to rise up in the big game, while Barnett seemed to be a bit neutralized.

As Bengal fans, we've seen plenty of "star" players that look great in some games, then seem to "disappear" when it comes to the big stage games, like Steelers games or playoff games.  I'd just prefer to see them draft a player, whoever it is that they choose, who's star shone brightest in the biggest games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Derek Barnett Really That Good? - SunsetBengal - 04-14-2017, 05:33 PM