Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Reason for AJM Trade
(04-24-2017, 11:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and you're ignoring the fact that even if a team likes what they see after that 800k trial run, they'd immediately be faced with a potential nightmare scenario of losing him after 1 year. Not to mention the fact that his salary would suddenly balloon to way more than what any rookie makes. Jared Goff got a 4 year, 28 million contract last year as the #1 overall pick. By QB terms, that's an amazing deal from the team's perspective. Far less than what McCarron would make if he actually panned out. That's why I didn't address the 800k bargain for McCarron...it's only a bargain if it doesn't work out...which would be bad anyway because it'd mean wasted picks. If it does work out, then said team is risking (a) losing him after 1 year and (b) possibly signing a 1 year wonder to a long term deal. 

I feel like some of you guys never think about this from the other team's perspective. Any team that trades for McCarron will be...

1. Giving up premium draft picks for a 27 year old QB with 4 starts who was drafted in the (late) 5th round.
2. Due to expectations from surrendering said picks the team would obviously be handing over the keys to this QB for the season.
3. If Mac doesn't work out, you look foolish and lost picks.
4. If he does work out, you could immediately have a Kirk Cousins situation, where you don't want to commit to a long term deal for a possible one-hit-wonder.
5. If Mac works out, he will still be more expensive than any rookie QB, even a 1st overall pick.

You don't see where this could potentially become a disaster whether or not Mac pans out? Teams think about this stuff. On paper, it doesn't look very enticing to me. McCarron would have to be 100% the real deal for me to consider it, and I don't think he proved that after our offense had 4 of their 5 worst outputs with McCarron under center.
Actually it is 2 years and not one unless AJM wins arbitration because he was injured his rookie year thus did not get the year counted.
So, year 1 they get him for around $750K and year 2 around $2.3 million so an average of $1.5 million a year for 2 years for a starting QB. If they don't like him (AKA like Brock was hated in Houston), they simply don't put a tag on him and let him walk.

I agree the draft pick is the key to the compensation for both teams involved.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Potential Reason for AJM Trade - SHRacerX - 04-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Potential Reason for AJM Trade - BenZoo2 - 04-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Potential Reason for AJM Trade - BenZoo2 - 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM
RE: Potential Reason for AJM Trade - Luvnit2 - 04-24-2017, 12:40 PM