Poll: Based Strictly ON Talent/Need, What's Your Grade So Far?
A+
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
MILLEN TRUBISKY
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade The Draft (PURELY ON TALENT/NEED)
(04-29-2017, 10:46 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: On talent alone, the Bengals got a potential all pro receiver who changes how defenses approach our offense, a potential all pro running back who also changes how defenses approach our offense and a potential new starting LDE to cycle with Michael Johnson and improve our pass rush. All this was done in a draft where the offensive line depth, the position we needed most, was just not there at any of our picks.

Ignoring character concerns, this is an A+ draft.

(04-29-2017, 10:51 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I would probably give it an A so far.  I thought perhaps there were better players at 1 but I see the reasoning behind the Ross pick.  Wr was a need.  We got 1 of the top 3.  There was a definite drop after that.  And we needed speed, someone who can separate.  We got it.

Mixon, based on tape alone., was simply a steal.  We know he was there.

Willis was deemed worthy of a pick in the 20-40 range.  Another  steal.  

This team needed more speed and athleticism and it got it in spades so far.  For the concern of defense, pass rush in particular, our offense was moribund last year.  We were to predictable and easily defended.  

Now we can address the lines in day 3. Gimme an interior o lineman that can compete and def tackle to play in our rotation and fill in other positions with quality depth.  I think speed and athleticism will continue to be qualities we look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-29-2017, 10:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is a key point Crazydawg. You get in trouble reaching in a draft (especially 1st 3 rounds and a reach for an OL that did not grade out well would have been a huge mistake.

I agree on the O-line concerns. The Bengals can only do so much at once and they have to let the young guys develop.

This draft is pitiful on the O-line side of the ball. I don't see anyone, with the exception of one of the centers - who were not available, nor made sense where the Bengals were picking. Even the best rated OT in this draft, Robinson from AL, was being talked about on NFL radio as being sloppy and probably needing to play inside G for his first few years to get better.

Lets be honest in that regard... The Bengals already have an AL OT who had to move in to G: Andre Smith!

I know I'm in the hyper minority here, but like the Bengals youth along the OL and see a light at the end of that tunnel. Westerman is a guy I think that can step in in the next few years. Ced has the right attitude and is working hard this offseason. Fisher I liked a lot when the Bengals took him. I think Smith will excel at RG as long as he stays healthy (but, frankly, that's where Westerman comes in). Bolling is strong. And I think Bodine has a lot of improvement to do, but made strides last season.

I think the Bengals O-line is what it is and that there wasn't going to be a single rookie in this draft that is going to come in and supplant the guys already on the roster. Who knows, though. Thuney was a rookie 3rd rounder for the Patriots last season and played every snap for them all the way to the Superbowl. Lets see how day 3 pans out!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Grade The Draft (PURELY ON TALENT/NEED) - PDub80 - 04-29-2017, 11:04 AM