Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good article on MMQB this morning ....
(05-04-2017, 08:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I disagree with a lot of your points here.

1.  AJ Green & Tyler Eifert are top 3 at their skill positions in the entire NFL and have been for years. Andy has had a strong, and at some positions elite cast around him. It's not as if every year AD loses all of these options in the post season, while other QBs have them all and therefore they win.
2.  The O-line was very good until last season for the entire time Dalton has been in Cincy. This narrative that he has been sacked a bunch throughout his career is bullshit. He got beat up badly for just this last season. Up until then the line has been very good.
3. The Defense AD has had has been MUCH MUCH better than anything Carson had. Not even close.
4.  ST has been better while AD has been on the team.

- The playoff lose to INDY is a throw away in my book. That's not on AD at all.
5. The SD playoff game... I wouldn't blame him if he wakes up in a hot panic over that game for the rest of his life. That was gross to watch and 100% on him, IMO.
6.  The other playoff losses had putrid performances turned in by AD, and were all potentially winable with better QB play. These have been spoken on ad nauseam.

AD's stats are similar, with the exception of the fact that those other QBs you mention: Rogers, Brady, Manning, have all produced in the playoffs in big ways. AD hasn't. It's been quite the opposite. He has been HORRIFIC in the playoffs. I mean, freaking disgusting. That's the fact of it, no matter how much I like the guy as a person and as a player.

1. You have to look at it on a year-to-year basis.

2011- 27th in yards per carry, top receivers were AJ Green, Jerome Simpson and Gresham. Is this an elite cast? 
2012- 20th in yards per carry, top receivers were AJ Green, and a 3 headed trio of Armon Binns and rookie Sanu and MLJ. Plus Gresham. Meh.
2013- 28th in yards per carry, top receiver were AJ Green, MLJ + Gresham and Eifert. Great receivers and awful rush attack? Elite?
2014- 12th in yards per carry, AJ Green missed 4 games, MLJ and Eifert missed the entire season, Gresham averaged 7.4 YPC. Ugly.
2015- 23rd in yards per carry, AJ Green, MLJ, Sanu, Eifert. This was clearly the best season, but the run game was still weak.
2016- 23rd in yards per carry, AJ Green missed 7 games, Eifert missed 8 games, Gio missed 6 games. LaFell and rookie Boyd. Ugly.

2. Well...excpept for 2012, when he was sacked 46 times (3rd in NFL). This was when the coaches asked Dalton to hold on to the ball longer and make "unscripted plays" which I feel exposed the pass blocking a bit.

3. Well...except for 2009, when Palmer had the 4th ranked defense in the NFL, and proceeded to pass for 146 yards and a 58.3 rating in the first round playoff loss.

4. If you say so. Shayne Graham was the most accurate kicker in Bengals history. 

5. Andy didn't cause Gio to have a key fumble that cost us at least 3 points, and he didn't allow 27 points on defense. If the defense only allowed 15 points (like they had for McCarron for 3.95 quarters), then I'm sure Dalton could've led a few more FG drives. Instead, we had to abandon the run and go for only TD's, because we were down by double digits for the entire 4th quarter. I'm not blaming these guys entirely...just saying it wasn't "100% on Dalton".

6. They were all potentially winnable if the team played better. That includes Andy Dalton, but isn't exclusive to him.
--------------------------------------

The entire team has been disgusting in the playoffs under Marvin Lewis. So have 3 other QBs (Kitna, Palmer, McCarron). 

(05-05-2017, 02:06 AM)BigSeph Wrote: In 4 career playoff starts, Andy's best QB rating was 67.

If he was passing for 300/3/0, you might have a point here.

Tom Brady has had 28 playoff games with a rating above 67, and 6 with worse than 67.

In the games where his rating was < 67, he's 3-3.
 In the games where it's above 67, he's 22-6.

Brady has a 63:31 career playoff TD:INT ratio.  Andy has a 1:6.

Just saying....

Thanks for pointing out that the Patriots are 3-3 in games where Brady has a rating of 67 or below. That just helps prove that teams can win when the QB has a bad day at the office. Heck, we "almost" won when McCarron posted a 68.3 which is nearly identical to the rating Dalton posted against the Chargers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Good article on MMQB this morning .... - Shake n Blake - 05-05-2017, 01:06 PM