Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Draft Musings
(05-05-2017, 01:41 AM)Synric Wrote: 1. Lets start with the the biggest glaring spot the Offensive Line. Like everyone I'm hoping Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Smith step in and have a good year, but I'm also hoping they get help from Zampese by getting back to more of a Jay Gruden West Coast offense which will help out a weaker line. As for depth I see the Bengals waiting for Training Camp to fill out some roles on the offensive line.

2. Besides the offensive line the rest of the offense is stacked. Even though Im not a fan of the John Ross pick (explanation later) he is a good fit for the Bengals. Ross not only brings speed to the offense but also versatility being able to line up inside and outside allows AJ Green and Brandon Lafell to do the same (2013 AJ Green tore it up in the slot). Josh Malone brings speed with size in a couple of years he could be the starting WR next to AJ Green when Lafell's contract ends. Joe Mixon is going to be good... Hill can talk all he wants but Mixon's vision will win out by mid season.

3. Now the defense...Everyone mentions needing a pass rusher but the run defense was worse. The Bengals ranked bottom of the league in run defense for good reason their linebackers put their selves in good position to make a play but never do. They did replace Malauga but with the exact same guy in Kevin Minter. Minter has missed an outrageous amount of tackles in his short career and never was a cover guy. ( I understand PFF ranked him high in coverage in 2016 so I don't need a link but if you dig further you'll find that the Cards did an excellent job game planning around this weakness of Minters.). No one knows what they have in Vigil who made some plays last year but also made as many mistakes. I wanted Reddick at #9 due to the fact Im sick of watching TEs walk over the Bengals LB core(Blocking and Receiving...). The secondary is stacked Id say they might need some safety depth but with Shaw moonlighting its not a big deal.

4. As for the pass rush it will come when given opportunity. In 2015 for the first 8 or 10 games Dunlap was leading the league in sacks and QB hurries. I think even Peko had 5 or 6 sacks by the end of the season lolol. Why? Because the Bengals were leading most games and when Burfict came back they started clamping down on the run game forcing 3rd in long (Reggie was a big part of that run defense)...both leading games and run defense they didnt have in 2016 which led to alot less pin your ears back pass rushing opportunities. I'm not saying they couldn't improve in this area always can I just wanted to point out how bad the run defense was last season.

In Conclussion my biggest worry next year is the growth of Ken Zampese. I felt Zampese's play designs and calling left alot to be desired in his rookie year.

1. Agreed. Zampese can do some things to help mask the line. Maybe give our young tackles some confidence.

2. Agreed. Love the weapons on paper and can't wait to see them in action.

3. The defense ranked 21st in rush yards allowed and 23rd in YPC allowed. Not good at all, but not bottom of the league. Personally, I think Minter is younger/faster/better than Maualuga. 

4. Good point. Opponents did attempt 53 fewer passes against us in 2016. I do think Michael Johnson had a weak season, and some of our rotation guys left a lot to be desired.

Well I wasn't overly impressed with Zampese's creativity, but I give him somewhat of a pass for being without AJ Green, Eifert and Gio for so long. Plus the o-line was train wreck. Hopefully he can adjust to cover it up some this year.

(05-05-2017, 12:28 PM)Okeana Wrote: I read the first sentence and quit reading.  The O line guys never let it go.

Are we supposed to pretend they are good? That last year didn't happen and we didn't lose the 2 best players from that line?

This board is for discussing the team, that includes the not-so-pleasant realities. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Post Draft Musings - Synric - 05-05-2017, 01:41 AM
RE: Post Draft Musings - Mer - 05-05-2017, 11:35 AM
RE: Post Draft Musings - THE PISTONS - 05-05-2017, 11:38 AM
RE: Post Draft Musings - sandwedge - 05-05-2017, 11:50 AM
RE: Post Draft Musings - CageTheBengal - 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM
RE: Post Draft Musings - ochocincos - 05-05-2017, 12:13 PM
RE: Post Draft Musings - Whatever - 05-05-2017, 12:40 PM
RE: Post Draft Musings - Okeana - 05-05-2017, 12:28 PM
RE: Post Draft Musings - Shake n Blake - 05-05-2017, 01:42 PM
RE: Post Draft Musings - Synric - 05-05-2017, 01:56 PM