Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals in Odd Numbered Years under Lewis
(06-20-2017, 01:30 AM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: Just as I thought.  Nothing in that quote says that Marvin does not make half time adjustments. 

I knew there had to be some kind of misunderstanding.  Marvin is simply saying that failure to make big plays in the fourth quarter is not as much about X's and O's as it is about "a mental thing.  .  .  a repetition thing, a confidence thing, a poise thing, time on task thing. It’s all those things.” 

Here are some quotes that proves Marvin makes half time adjustments.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/08/20/marvin-lewis-bengals-health/14368727/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

He said he likely won't have the starters play in the second half, where in the past he would have them play a series or two to see how they reacted to halftime adjustments 

Haha wow Fred, is that you? I guess you can interpret it that way if you like. It's not a direct quote shooting down adjustments but it's very heavily implied that Marv doesn't make adjustments, doesn't believe the opposition makes adjustments, or both. But after 14 seasons of the same mental collapses with all the roster turnover through the years I find it hard to believe it's a mental thing (at least from the players). In any case, it's a very troubling thing to see, but if you take a look at our history under Marv a whole lot starts to make sense. All you have to do watch any one of our several second half collapses to know the other team adjusted and he didn't, or the other team adjusted and Marv had no flipping clue how to handle it.

Also, that quote "proving Marv makes halftime adjustments" is from the preseason. In a preseason game, it's a chance to try out several players in different schemes, plays, etc.  The entire game is one giant adjustment series after series with no real strategy to win in place. It doesn't prove anything based on the regular season/playoffs, where we have seen countless time adjustments or lack thereof kill us when it counts.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals in Odd Numbered Years under Lewis - Pat5775 - 06-20-2017, 10:34 AM