Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals in Odd Numbered Years under Lewis
(06-20-2017, 12:56 PM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: Actually I can not tell evefry time and NFL team makes a scheme adjustment.  But I do know that every team in the league is constantly making adjustments throughout the game.  

I just posted one link, but all you have to do is google "Marvin Lewis adjustments" and you will get a whole list of quotes from bengal players and coaches talking about making adjustments throughout the game.

As for the 4th quarter collapses I have seen by the Bengals they usually involves turnovers, penalties, missed FGs, and things like that.  It may be true that other teams make better adjustments than the Bengals, but I can't believe that you guys think the Bengals don't even try to make adjustments throughout the game (not just at halftime).  Just look at the 2015 playoff loss.  Something certainly changed in the fourth quarter.  I amassuming it was some adjustments by the Bengals.  But they end up losing on a fumble and losing their cool.  You could say that Marvin was to blame for them fumbling and losing their cool, but you can't really say that they lost because the Steelers made better adjustments late in the game.

Finally, as I said before, the Bengals have been one of the best come from behind teams in the league since 2011.  That seems to indicate that they make adjustments better than other teams.

And who is Fred?  Is he the only person here who believes that the Bengals ever make any in-game adjustments?

Alright let's clear something up: I don't doubt that the team makes adjustments, it's just to what extent and how they adjust. After what Marvin said, it's obvious he hardly adjusts at all. Something we've assumed for years. And what are you basing "one of the best come from behind teams since 2011" on? Do you have a source? I'd love to see it... Were we down by 3 in the first quarter? Do they count that as a come from behind win? Does it also list how many we have lost in the waning moments? How big of a deficit did we overcome? Do they call winning by 3 in overtime a come from behind win, even if we gave up the tying score with seconds to go in regulation? 

We have plenty of fourth quarter losses but more often than not its because the other team comes out with a better gameplan and finishes the game strong, not simply because of turnovers/penalties/field goals and the like. The playoff loss against Pitt is unique because it's one of the very few losses we outplayed a team in the fourth and still lost. But you have to remember Ben was injured and their play dropped off quite a bit with that QB rotation. Pitt didn't exactly help their cause once Ben was incapacitated. Still, usually once Marvin is figured out, he loses. Plain and simple. He doesn't change a thing about the gameplan (other than going into prevent mode with plenty of time left) and he loses. There's a vast multitude of reasons we can speculate about, but as we've seen over the years he just gets outcoached.

I think a very obvious reason why is because Marvin doesn't make adjustments when clearly needed. We can see it and it really can't be argued. We often clamor about "halftime adjustments" but it's adjustments in general that is not Marv's strong point. It was very unwise for a man who has been constantly called out for lack of or ineffective adjustments to call in game adjustments "journalistic jargon". 

I realize you're new here, and given your defense of Marv you'll be hearing a lot about Fred and drawing a lot of comparisons to him. He's currently on a temporary ban but given your thoughts, your response and some of the language you use... I think you may know exactly who Fred is  Ninja
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals in Odd Numbered Years under Lewis - Pat5775 - 06-20-2017, 02:17 PM