Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are 'Wake Up Call' Games Necessary for Bengals
(08-23-2017, 01:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Sports are played in 60 minute windows, or innnings/quaters/etc, so mistakes are magnified.  The intensity is therefore ratcheted up exponentially.  That's why we see guys like Zimmer, Parcells, others get in people's shit.  Belichick has the glare......Marvin never even chews an official's ass.  People see this, and they think he's passive. A lot of people don't see Hard Knocks, or follow as closely as a lot of us die hards do, you gotta take that into consideration.  When I played, we were praised if we did well.....but we were also berated a tad for bad mistakes, and I never made it past high school.  You want to be praised, but at the same time you don't want to hear that shit either.  It motivates, I think, regardless of level.  It's kind of like saying please and thank you all of the time when you ask someone to do something until the shit hits the fan, and you need things done NOW.....it's more likely to be "do this, grab that"....etc.

I get what you are saying. I have coached at the high school level the past 4 years and the "Governing Body" put out a memo a few years back, no grabbing face mask or getting into players faces. It was perceived as threatening.  I had to tone it down, my wife would even get on me. Funny I have players tell me, I was there favorite coach here during their time playing. Times have changed.... I spent 15 years with SEAL Team 5 and verbal abuse was an everyday thing!!! Different circumstances of course but yet it did light a fire under your ass!! Lol
My guess is coaches like Forrest Gregg would have called it quits under today's coddling... 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are 'Wake Up Call' Games Necessary for Bengals - sandwedge - 08-23-2017, 01:45 PM