Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarron Needs To Play Against Tampa, or forget about it
(08-17-2015, 08:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't understand giving a player a tougher grade due to their draft status. Who cares when players are drafted or not drafted?

I want to see results whether they are the #1 overall pick or an undrafted player. Once they are on the roster, they are on the roster regardless of how they got there. If we are discussing contracts, that is a different topic and their results should be considered.

Do you really think this way?  Do you think the Browns are in the boat they are in now because they made poor 1st round choices to the tune of Manziel, Weeden, T-Rich, Mingo etc. or because they made poor 6th round choices?  Do you think we'd have players of Dre and Gio's caliber if Palmer would have been traded for two 5th round picks?

RGIII would be a pretty encouraging player....IF he were drafted in the 4th round or later.

Ryan Leaf played pretty well for a QB who was drafted in the 3rd round and expected to fix the worst team in the league.  What's that?  He was taken 2nd overall?  Ouch.  The reason players taken in the higher rounds are held to higher standards is likely due to the fact that the team selecting them had many more options at the point in time.  

Cedric Benson was taken 4th overall by the Bears in 2005 and the reason that was a bad pick was not only due to Benson's meager returns in Chi town but also because they could have selected one of the 20+ players after him that had much better careers including Aaron Rogers.  Personally, I was more of a Gresham defender than many but the fact that he was a 1st round pick made him difficult to defend.  Anyways, that's my take. It's a simple case of "opportunity cost" where not only are you selecting Player X with a pick but you are (at times more importantly) NOT selecting Player Z and all the others in the draft at that moment with the pick as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: McCarron Needs To Play Against Tampa, or forget about it - Nately120 - 08-17-2015, 11:45 AM