Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarron Needs To Play Against Tampa, or forget about it
(08-17-2015, 12:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: AJ Green and Antonio Brown are both top WRs but one was taken 4th overall and one was taken 195th overall.  Both were great picks by their organizations regardless of draft position but I assure you had Mikey and Marvin found AJ Green in the 6th round we'd all be experiencing football-related erections for years.

C'mon man, you can't act like that fact that Tom Brady has the pedigree of a 1st overall pick and Blaine Gabbert has the pedigree of a 7th round nobody hasn't had any effect outside of draft day.

I totally get that stuff like draft position will come up in conversation and there can be debates where it's warranted to mention. I just don't know if player evaluation should be one of those debates where it matters. I completely agree with the quote below. I don't think Lamur was any less bad in 2014 because he was a UDFA. I don't think Geno is any better than he is because he's a mid/late 4th rounder.

The painful thought that Bodine is a mediocre to poor performing center isn't alleviated by the fact that we didn't burn a top pick on him.

I might say something like "it sucks that we used such a high pick on Margus Hunt", and I think stuff like that is fine in conversation, but I won't let him being a 2nd rounder affect my opinion of him if we're speaking purely of his ability as a football player. I don't think he's good at playing football whether he was taken in the 1st round or the 7th.

(08-17-2015, 12:12 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: But if you are talking about GRADING a player, a B is a B. An F is an F. Bad is bad. Good is good. The rest is emotional. 

100% agree with this. For player grading, stuff like draft position should not factor in.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: McCarron Needs To Play Against Tampa, or forget about it - djs7685 - 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM