Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet! We get to lose AJ McCarron for absolutely nothing in 2018
(10-31-2017, 10:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 4 million for a high end backup?  Not a bad price at all.

He isn't a proven high end backup.  He just has potential value based on what scouts know.  Keep in mind if the Bengals put a first round tender on him this is how it works.  The restricted free agent can negotiate with other teams, but the original team has the option to match any deal and will receive a first-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.  So say a team makes an offer for AJ and he accepts the Bengals have the option to match to keep him but if they don't match the deal the team gives the Bengals their first round pick.  So it isn't just 4 million, the team that takes AJ gives their first round pick to the Bengals.  If no team makes an offer based on the first round tender then AJ remains with the Bengals under his contract. Then next year he enters unrestricted free agency which means the Bengals can get nothing for him.

That is why I feel a second round tender is more likely. It works the same way but instead of a first the Bengals would get a second. I honestly don't think AJ is worth a first round pick. Of course there is always the Browns that might be willing to bite on that first round tender, so you never know. haha. I don't see any other better managed teams willing to give up a first for AJ under a first round tender. Especially considering the upcoming college QB class is highly rated.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sweet! We get to lose AJ McCarron for absolutely nothing in 2018 - George Cantstandya - 10-31-2017, 10:16 PM