Poll: Who will command more in the open market?
AJM
Dalton
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is more valuable in the open market, AJM or Dalton?
(11-08-2017, 03:54 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Kaepernick was 4 yards away from the Lombardi and had playoff success multiple years. How's he doing lately? 

The guys who put this team back on the map were Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson. They were the ones that made the Bengals fun to watch and put them on primetime slots, not the red head rifle.

Andy Dalton is on the decline QBR of 20th last year and 28th this season, has had zero playoff success, and is very average talent wise.  A similar QB talent wise is Alex Smith, what did he fetch in the open market? A second round pick only.    

So, no I don't think Dalton is that good to command a first and second round pick. 

Actually that might be the more interesting question because AMc .vs. Dalton is no comparison right now....would we get near what we got for Palmer??

Palmer went in yr 8 , Dalton is in year 7.   AD's career QBRating is currently 1.0 above Palmer's.  Both had one standout season when they were 100+ rating mixed in with some average high 80/early 90's seasons.

Plus for Palmer was his arm and deep ball , Pluses for AD .vs. Palmer is his mobility, no major injuries. Neither of them could point to playoff success.

We got two picks over two years ..Rd 1 and Rd 2.   So on the surface there is no reason why we could not get that.

My 2 caveats to that....

1) Palmer's positives of arm strength/deep ball is a lot sexier on the open market..people still over buy for that trait.  They don't for moxie/game management type traits.

2) Hue jax - he really wanted Palmer just like AMc and may have been prepared to slightly over pay to get that.  You would either need a Sam Bradford to Vikings type situation to create an urgent QB need, or maybe someone like Gruden/McVay to have a scheme where Andy would be a good fit and ready to go straight away to generate the demand.

If you have not got your QB then you're looking and when you see some teams ship a whole load of draft picks (now and in the future) for taking an unproven college QB then I can definitely see a market for AD
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread