Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can ANY Coach Win Consistently Here?
(12-10-2017, 10:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think this is an honest question. We've had Lebeau who is a HOF Coach. Coslett was a good offensive mind. Marvin had some great defenses.

We know the Bengals do things differently. Small scouting department. Not really using free agency. Not being big spenders. Letting free agents leave if they want more than the Bengals think they're worth.

We see the 27+ years of no playoff win. Well the largely the same management team has been in place over that span.

From Shake n Blake in another thread. That management team has:
-7 winning seasons in 26 years (all under Marvin)
-Roughly a .418 winning % (actually dramatically improved under Merv, or it's probably in the 30s, Merv has a .543 %)
-In 2008, the Bengals set a record for the most games needed under one specific owner to attain 100 wins (288).
-In 2010, the team set a record for the fewest games needed to lose 200 (both considering and not considering playoffs under one specific owner (314).

I know that people think our roster is loaded with talent...but it isn't. I know fans think we draft great...but we don't.

I think we got lucky on 2 drafts which turned out great with Dalton, Green, Boling and Atkins, Dunlap.

This team is HORRIBLY managed. To expect a coach to come in and be able to scout just isn't likely to happen...because the good assistants come from teams that have great personnel departments.

While Marvin is no great coach, he's the latest in a line of people to be villianized...along with Palmer, Dillon, Spikes, Pickens...Those guys aren't the problem. Management is.
Not having a GM says everything that anyone ever needs to know about ownership, the team and how far anything ever can go. A GM that knows football would hire the best coach that he could, let him bring in his own coaches and draft with a plan. Free agency is there for a reason. A GM should have a budget and the owner should step aside. Mike won’t step aside.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can ANY Coach Win Consistently Here? - Circleville Guy - 12-10-2017, 11:41 PM