Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown: Rewarding / Ignoring Failure
(01-02-2018, 01:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: As we wait to see if Marvin returns or not, the mere fact that's it even still being discussed and a real possibility is mind boggling to me...and it's a direct result of an owner who has repeatedly been indifferent to - and even rewarded - head coaches for their on field failures.

Dave Shula was given a 3 year deal when he was hired. After 2 years, his record stood at 8-24. Mike, in his infinite wisdom, looked at those results and came to the conclusion that Shula deserved a 2 year extension. Shula would have to evenyually lose 52 of his 71 games to force Mike to fire him.

Bruce Coslet walked away 3 games into the 2000 season. His team had lost 25 of it's previous 30 games and was coming off seasons of 3 and 4 wins. What was Mike's reaction to Bruce quitting? He tried t0 convince his to stay.

In 2002, Dick LeBeau's team posted the worst record in Bengals history at 2-14, and won only 12 games total during his time. Many people assume LeBeau was fired, but that's not the case. He 2 year deal expired and he wasn't retained. But, even in making the decision not to re-sign LeBeau, Mike sounded reluctant about the decision : "We were better than our won-loss record would indicate,'' he said. ''I can say the things I'm saying, and really nobody wants to hear them. I can believe it, but no one else cares. All that matters in this business is, 'How did you come out? Did you win or did you not?' And we did not.''

Then there's Marvin. After the 2010 season, he found himself in negotiations for a new contract. At that point, he had been with the Bengals for 8 seasons and had complied a 60-67-1 record, with 2 one and done's in the playoffs and 3 losing seasons in the previous 4 years. This also came on the heels of the Palmer situation. Looking at all that, and taking everything into account, was a new deal for Marvin warranted? Mike thought so, although it did take awhile to get there.

Then there are the questionable extensions for Marvin. One in 2015, following an NFL record setting 4th consecutive one and done. Then, another extension in 2016 after the embarrassing playoff meltdown against the Steelers.

It's not surprised in the least that Marvin could be coming back, even after back to back losing seasons. Bengals head coaches under Mike Brown don't have to be accountable in any real sense...because failure is not a deterring factor to Mike. In fact, it's often rewarded.

I feel really sick today and it isn't just a hangover.

Spot on Holic. If Marv is back i hope every Bengal fan stops buying gear and tickets.

Rewarding failure is the problem with this world today. The anti American dream.

About done with this shit show and i was always one of the most positive Bengal fans.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rewarding Failure - McC - 01-02-2018, 01:07 PM
RE: Rewarding Failure - Bengalholic - 01-02-2018, 01:17 PM
RE: Rewarding Failure - jj22 - 01-02-2018, 01:08 PM
RE: Rewarding Failure - bengals67 - 01-02-2018, 01:31 PM
RE: Mike Brown: Rewarding / Ignoring Failure - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-02-2018, 03:34 PM