Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take a look at Smith before comments on Dalton
(08-29-2015, 10:10 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Be careful using won and lost number to prove a point of the opposing team.

Your stats tell me Dalton has played teams with a winning record almost 50% of the games he played. My guess is that is a high  number to the norm of NFL QB's and my guess guys like Ryan, Brees, Luck and others percent of teams played against winning teams is less than AD. Inn other words, it appears AD has played stiffer competition than many others.

I see what you are saying. I am looking at a very sanitized set of numbers...they might not mean very much. I just find it interesting. 

To the point you were trying to make. These Bengals (from 2011 till now) have faced teams with a winning record 43% of the time (at the time of the game). However they lose those game at a rate of 53%. 

They have succeeded against teams with a combined record of 144-169 
They have been unsuccessful against teams with a combined record of 140-97

I am of the mind set that to beat good teams on a regular basis you need a QB that can take the game over. I do not see any evidence that Andy can be that guy. Other than one stretch in 2013 (they beat NE, Bills, Lions, and Jets) this team has never beaten 3 teams with a winning record before suffering a defeat. Unfortunately for us Bengals fans this team will not get the luxury of facing teams with a sub .500 record in the playoffs. I do not see them making a run through the gauntlet given the results of the past. Luckily the past is a predictor of future performance, not a guarantee of it!

My issue with the most ardent Dalton fans is because he is a Bengal they seem to be blind to his obvious inadequacies. Look I get it...it's hard to admit when your kid is ugly...that is where third party perspective comes into play. The reason there is a Dalton Scale is because he is not viewed as good...period. People that lump his name in with any of the top 20 QB's are insane. Then you have that group that mentions him with the likes of Manning and Marino...lol...that is turely comical.  

I root for the Bengals every time they take the field...every player (including & especially Dalton)! I am a Bengals fan first then a supporter of the player second. The whole must be greater than the sum of it parts. When you have a part that does not allow this to happen you must replace the part. To support Dalton as the answer to this point is to root against the success of the organization in my mind. Every time a fan says I can't wait till we win one (1) playoff game so that everyone will get off Dalton's back makes me SMFH. Why would any fan of the team think like that? 

I know Wyche's Warrior will point to Marvin in all of this and I agree...Marvin is not a "beat the best" kind of guy either. I do however believe this team over the past 4 seasons with any other top tier QB (pick the name) under Marvin as the coach would have a far better record against quality opponents. I believe they would have playoff success to the extent of possibly being a SB winner. 

This team with the combo of this QB & HC does not have the gas or ass to make that run to the SB. 
This team with the combo of a Top QB & this HC could be a super bowl winner.
This team with the combo of this QB & a Top HC....maybe more successful against quality teams but not a super bowl team. 

Wins (W-L record at time of game)

Cleveland Browns      0-0 (AFCN)
Buffalo Bills                 3-0
Jacksonville Jaguars   1-3
Indianapolis Colts       0-5
Seattle Seahawks       2-4
Tennessee Titans        4-3
Cleveland Browns       4-6 (AFCN)
St. Louis Rams            2-11
Arizona Cardinals          7-7
Cleveland Browns          0-1 (AFCN)
Washington Redskins    1-1
Jacksonville Jaguars       1-2
New York Giants             6-3
Kansas City Chiefs          1-8
Oakland Raiders             3-7
San Diego Chargers       4-7
Philadelphia Eagles          4-9  (Thurs)
Pittsburgh Steelers         7-7 (AFCN)
Baltimore Ravens          10-5 (AFCN)
Pittsburgh Steelers      0-1 (AFCN) (Mon)
Green Bay Packers        1-1
New England Patriots  4-0
Buffalo Bills                    2-3
Detroit Lions                 4-2
New York Jets               4-3
Cleveland Browns        4-5 (AFCN)
San Diego Chargers     5-6
Indianapolis Colts        8-4
Minnesota Vikings      4-9-1
Baltimore Ravens       8-7 (AFCN)
Baltimore Ravens      0-0 (AFCN)
Atlanta Falcons          1-0
Tennessee Titans      1-1
Carolina Panthers      3-1
Baltimore Ravens      5-2 (AFCN)
Jacksonville Jaguars  1-7
New Orleans Saints  4-5
Houston Texans         5-5
Buccaneers                 2-9
Cleveland Browns     7-6 (AFCN)
Denver Broncos        11-3 (Mon)

Loss (W-L record at time of game)
Denver Broncos          0-1
San Francisco 49ers   1-1
Pittsburgh Steelers     6-3 (AFCN)
Baltimore Ravens       6-3 (AFCN)
Pittsburgh Steelers     8-3 (AFCN)
Houston Texans         9-3
Baltimore Ravens       11-4 (AFCN)
Houston Texans         10-6 (Playoff)
Baltimore Ravens      0-0 (AFCN) (Mon)
Miami Dolphins          1-3
Cleveland Browns      0-5 (AFCN)
Pittsburgh Steelers    2-3 (AFCN)
Denver Broncos        4-3
Dallas Cowboys         6-6
Houston Texans       12-4 (Playoff)
Chicago Bears           0-0
Cleveland Browns     1-2 (AFCN)
Miami Dolphins         3-4 (Thurs)
Baltimore Ravens      3-5 (AFCN)
Pittsburgh Steelers    5-8 (AFCN)
San Diego Chargers   9-7 (Playoff)
New England Patriots     2-2
Carolina Panthers           3-1
Indianapolis Colts            4-2
Cleveland Browns           6-3 (AFCN) (Thurs)
Pittsburgh Steelers         7-5 (AFCN)
Pittsburgh Steelers        10-5 (ACFN)
Indianapolis Colts          11-5 (Playoff)
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Take a look at Smith before comments on Dalton - Rhinocero23 - 08-29-2015, 02:11 PM