Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surprise device lifespan
Thinking of old GE clocks, this one was manufactured in 1949 and still keeps good time and the original Westminster chime still works even though one of the  chime bars is out of tune  ..
[Image: poLGJwVsj]
And I still have a lot of old wood planes made before WWII that can still shave off super fine shavings..
Most things will last longer than expected if you do the routine maintenance, but most people don't bother then blame it on the manufacturer for not making them 100% maintenance free .

Ever heard the phrase coined by Ralph Nader? Planned obsolescence? Back in the 1960s General Motors began building cars intended to fall apart within 7 years. That plan backfired with the Chevy Corvaire.. It earned the label of being Unsafe at any speed.  
A lot of products have a bunch of unnecessary parts and switches that light up, but don't actually do anything except short out everything else. We get sold on glitz and gadgets, bigger and better and on and on .
One item that was sold with the idea of bigger is better was stereos with the larger cabinets. When you took them apart they were filled with air, but they had big lighted dials that didn't really do anything. Then came digital with smaller containers ,but some are people would still rather have a pretty container with crap inside than small and efficient .. Go figure .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Surprise device lifespan - Sabretooth - 04-03-2018, 11:59 AM
RE: Surprise device lifespan - grampahol - 04-03-2018, 07:51 PM
RE: Surprise device lifespan - michaelsean - 04-03-2018, 08:20 PM
RE: Surprise device lifespan - jfkbengals - 04-03-2018, 09:52 PM
RE: Surprise device lifespan - Au165 - 04-04-2018, 08:42 AM
RE: Surprise device lifespan - grampahol - 04-05-2018, 10:59 AM
RE: Surprise device lifespan - XenoMorph - 04-04-2018, 10:05 AM
RE: Surprise device lifespan - fredtoast - 04-04-2018, 11:01 AM
RE: Surprise device lifespan - grampahol - 04-05-2018, 10:44 AM