Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With All These Interviews What Is The Magic Words?
(01-03-2019, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To be serious for a moment there is an inherent conflict between owners on one side and GM/coaches on the other.  GMs and coaches know if they don't win they will be replaced.  It generally happens much quicker with other teams, an I believe that going forward the next coach will not get as much rope as Marvin because he will not have pulled us out of one of the worst decades by any professional sports team ever.  So GM/coaches are more likely to suggest mortgaging the future in order to win today.  Owners always have more of s "long" approach.  The want to win enough every year to keep the fans coming in.  And owners don't have to worry about getting replaced if they have one or two down years.

So I believe the magic words Mike Brown wants to hear is that the new coach wants to develop a long term plan for winning consistently instead of just loading up with big name free agents for one big push for a Championship.

In my opinion it is wise to build through the draft and avoid the free agent market.  Free agents are not paid based just on how good they are.  They are often paid according to how many players at their position are available when they become free agents and how many teams need a player at their position.

But depending on the draft requires more investment in the scouting department, and when you do build a roster that is close to competing for a championship you have to roll the dice and sing a free agent or two to address particular holes in the roster.  And these two points are where Mike really fails.

I think Bengal fans would be fine with this approach as long as the team does get better each year and you see a legitimate shot at going all the way. 

It will be interesting to see how much thought on long term winning the front office has when choosing the next HC for the Bengals. This isn't a team that goes through HC every couple of years so the process and decision should very well thought out on the teams future direction. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: With All These Interviews What Is The Magic Words? - GodFather - 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM