Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I Give Coach Lewis Credit For 7 Play-Off Seasons.
(01-01-2019, 07:54 AM)grampahol Wrote: I have a sad feeling we're going to really miss Marvin for awhile. It's not in the Brown family DNA to move upward..they move sideways at best and usually downward . Perhaps things will be different, but I ain't exactly overwhelmed with the possibilities.. 

In fairness, we haven't exactly seen Mikey handle change very often, and the last time he did, he went from Dick LeBeau to Marvin Lewis. I'd say that's moving upward.

(01-01-2019, 02:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin's overall record is slightly above average.  But when you consider the handicap of working under Mike Browns rules that is better than it appears.

For example.  If Marvin had been fired after the '10 season and a new coach came in and took a team that was considered the worst in the league to the playoffs 5 staright years fans would have loved him.

Marvin should have been gone after last season.  Even if his message as a coach was not that bad it had become stale around here.

Not if the new coach went 0-5 in the playoffs. In that scenario, I think plenty of people would've been pining for Marv, due to his hero status from 2003-2009. 

(01-02-2019, 02:45 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: When grading Marvin, you have to factor in being handcuffed by Mike. He was coaching without a GM or having to fill both roles himself. These are the main reasons that I think that another team will give Marvin another chance. It was way past time for Marvin to leave but let’s not pretend that this is your typical coaching gig.

Tobin is basically the GM from everything I've seen/read. He's in charge of scouting and recommending players to draft. I guess Marv was pretty involved during the offseason, but most coaches prefer being involved in choosing the players they will be coaching. That's a benefit, not a hindrance.

And tbh, I'm not sure Marv really did more than a typical coach in the offseason. They're all running around, at the combine, working out players, helping put together draft boards, etc. I think Bengals coaches have more autonomy and power, but that's probably a good thing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Give Coach Lewis Credit For 7 Play-Off Seasons. - Shake n Blake - 01-05-2019, 02:13 PM