Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hypothetical Trade AJ Draft
(04-12-2019, 11:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And here is what the Giants got in return for OBJ: 

The Giants are sending Beckham, their talented, but often controversial receiver, to the Browns in exchange for safety Jabrill Peppers, plus the Browns’ first-round pick (No. 17 overall) and the second of their two third-round picks (No. 96).

Someone pointed out earlier that the difference between pick #3 and pick #11 by the points is roughly equivalent to the #17 overall pick.  So, in my scenario, the Bengals trade AJ for Derron Lee, the Bengals and Jets swap first rounders, and the Bengals get a conditional pick in 2020 that could be as high as a 2nd rounder and as low as a 4th.  To summarize, the Bengals would essentially be sending AJ to the Jets for the #17 overall pick and Derron Lee, who the Jets are looking to move since they spent big bucks on Mosely.  The Bengals would also receive a conditional 2020 pick.  I don't think that is asking too much for a proven player like AJ Green, and it would allow the Bengals to draft Haskins at #3 overall.  

The big win here for the Bengals is the cap space savings in a couple years not having Green and Dalton's contract on their books....and maybe they could trade Dalton after one year of Haskins backing him up or hold on to him and let him leave and get a compensatory 3rd rounder when he signs elsewhere.

I am as big a Dalton fan as any, but I hear so many people talk about his limitations and his ceiling.  Haskins could be a franchise QB for the next decade and with a new coaching staff and lots of cap space, this team could compete in one year.  I am not so sure if we will see different results from our recent past if they sign Dalton and Green.  

OBJ is 26 and is the prime of his career.  AJ is on the downside of his career and has injury concerns.  The reason for the Brown and Thomas comparison was that they are similar players around the same age. 

We honestly have no idea what Dalton will do in Taylor's offense.  Drafting a QB in the 1st pretty much says that no matter how well he plays, he's gone in 2 years.  Trading AJ and drafting a QB also immediately means rebuild while the Bengals are trying to sell the fans on a young, unproven coach.  Plus, the next 2 years appear to be better QB classes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The Hypothetical Trade AJ Draft - SHRacerX - 04-10-2019, 10:11 AM
RE: The Hypothetical Trade AJ Draft - Whatever - 04-12-2019, 01:58 PM