Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2020 linebacker draft class
(12-03-2019, 03:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Evan Weaver LB Cal, Rd 2-3.

Since I don't see anyone mentioning Weaver aside from myself, I'll give some insight to him (both positive and negative).
Weaver could go as early as Rd 2 but could definitely fall to Day 3.
Weaver has elite production at Cal for multiple years. He's an elite tackler. He's always making tackles. Over 300 tackles the past two seasons(!) 20 TFLs the past two seasons.

Weaver's best traits are his instincts, tackling ability, gap assignment, shedding blocks, and acting as the QB of a defense.

You might be wondering why he isn't being talked about as being the top LB then?
Well, he's not ultra-agile. It's expected he won't test well at the Combine on speed and agility.
While he's elite against the run and commanding the defense, he's not a LB that can easily stick with a TE or RB in space.
In college, he's been able to compensate for this because of his elite instincts but that likely won't be enough in the NFL.

We know the Bengals need to get better defending the run. They need LBs with instincts. But they also need LBs who can cover.
As I said, I like Weaver for what he does well and think he can be a contributor to the team. However, I understand why the Bengals (and others) would shy away from him, at least until Rd 5 or later.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 2020 linebacker draft class - J24 - 12-04-2019, 02:41 AM
RE: The 2020 linebacker draft class - ochocincos - 12-11-2019, 01:46 PM
RE: The 2020 linebacker draft class - yang - 12-30-2019, 03:23 PM