Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stat about Seattle's D since Chancellor's return
(10-09-2015, 11:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Was it an impressive performance against KC? Not exactly, but I don't see any reason to freak out about it. There were some positives. You say that KC has struggled to get in the end zone, which may have been true if this were 2014, but in their first 3 games this year, KC had 9 offensive TD's. Keeping them out of the end zone was a plus. 5 sacks was a plus. They forced and recovered a fumble. 

All this with Iloka out and Pacman missing the entire 2nd half. Leon started at S for the first time in his career, then switched outside (where he'd no good anymore) once Pacman went down. Then you have Dennard playing significant snaps in the slot for perhaps the first time. 

For all the shuffling they did in the secondary, this was a solid defensive performance. I'm hard on the defense when they deserve it. They just don't deserve a ton of grief right now, imo.

Ease-up there Shakey.  You don't seem to know where I was coming from.  If I would have checked in to see this last night or before the game I might have continued the sarcasm but today's game illustrates my point.

Fist is the context of my comments.  Fresno B was wanting to give a pat on the back for that game in another thread then talking about his perceived announcer diss of the Bengals' D.

My response is this 1 game not only doesn't deserve a pat on the back, but instead does deserve criticism.  Compare the KC game to the Seattle game.  KC scored 7 times and some think "holding them" to all field goals is a good thing.  Today it was a defense allowing 3 scores and one was a field goal.  Yeah, now I can see saying "good job holding them to a field goal on that one drive".  Even better job of Adam Jones stopping a drive with a pick.

Now the yardage issue.  KC had more than 100 yards over their previous best against this defense.  Seattle, at the end of regulation, only had a few more than their previous best (by the end of OT it didn't look as good but not the point).

In all, both games aren't great defensive outings but I'd rather see a team only scoring on the defense 3 times instead of scoring 7 out of 9 full drives even if it is all field goals.  So today was not what I'd like to see but it was at least acceptable.  And I see people giving props to the defense for this overall performance.  I disagree because I have followed mostly teams with great defenses in my life but I won't make an argument to downplay them for today's effort (except a little here to illustrate a point).

So overall I'm not complaining or worried (much) about this defense but that KC outing was awful.

Glad the D got it done in the 4th and OT today. So I will give them props for that but the overall game was just acceptable.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stat about Seattle's D since Chancellor's return - Penn - 10-11-2015, 06:36 PM