Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Bengals QB Evaluates Burrow
(03-28-2020, 04:06 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Never once argued what he showed on the field in college...go look...not once.  I did however question his one year rise after being in college for 4 years.  I did question him not being able to win the starting gig at OSU.  I did question the team talent surrounding him and how much his performance was because of that.  I did question if he has hit his ceiling.  I did question how a 3 star HS prospect and a 4-5th round pro prospect prior to this season shoots to the number one overall pick.  These are all legitimate questions with no definitive answer.

Again, I hope he comes here and lights the world on fire.  I know that everyone hopes for this. There is no denying his talent, his mental abilities, his accuracy and leadership that he showed in college.  However there are questions that cannot be answered until he hits the field. 

I know injury and Haskins had a lot to do with him not winning the starting gig. He could have not been ready yet, as I stated earlier. It could have been a host of reasons. The way I see things, Burrow developed and got better as a QB in his time at LSU. He got better and better last year, and really blossomed when they wen't undefeated. 

Again, you can look at it and see a guy that only did well once he had a good team around him; but most NFL coaches, analysts, etc. see a player that improved as a player from last year to this year. He is capable of making plays that you simply cannot teach. He's a no brainer 1st overall pick at this point.

As far as the talent around him argument...You could also make the argument that he elevated the play of those around him, throwing them open, keeping plays alive, etc. His offensive line in particular was looked at as a weakness at the start of the year. By the end of the year all of a sudden people see it as a strength. Again, why is that? Burrow keeping the defense off balanced? The players actually getting better? There's a host of explanations.
But bottom line is the team elevated it's play at the same time Burrow elevated his play. They got better as a team, and Burrow  had a huge part in leading his team.

As a college player he probably hit his ceiling because no college player has ever been that successful. As a pro he hasn't taken a snap yet. He does seem to possess a mind that wants to continually get better and learn. He says he wins games through preparation throughout the week. He studies ball. He loves the game. He wants to learn. Whatever we see from him on opening day, I don't expect that to be his ceiling. I expect him to get better as the season (and his career) goes on. It starts with the drive to learn and grow and get better. He seems to have it. Other 1st overall picks like Jamarcus Russell or whoever didn't have that desire, and flopped. Signs point to Burrow having that desire. Therefore, there is a great chance he won't flop.

I would also argue that his intelligence and spatial awareness are off the charts. Another reason I don't see him flopping. Carson wanted to be the best. He had an amazing arm. He had the drive. But he simply wasn't a natural leader, and he didn't see the field like Burrow does. Burrow has the intelligence, spatial awareness, drive, and leadership ability to go along with his pocket presence, anticipation and accuracy. He wants to learn, and has the smarts to make it happen.

If he's successful here, there will be people saying it's because of the talent around him. It will be hard to make that argument after what we've seen the past few years though. There's only one way to prove it to people though, and that's on the field. Can't wait to see this kid develop!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Former Bengals QB Evaluates Burrow - Bengalstripes9 - 03-28-2020, 04:36 PM