Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio Bernard - The Forgotten Weapon
(07-20-2020, 02:28 PM)3wt Wrote: And they clearly declined after 2015 - but so did his # of carries.   So hard to correlate.    The eyeball seems to indicate he's not as aggressive a runner since the hit, but honestly that could be nothing.

My big hope is that Taylor was under-utilizing certain parts of our team to see what we had with no concern as to the final record.

If that is not the case I'm disappointed with the limited use of the running backs and the tight end.

I'm not a betting man, but I believe we'll see a dramatic increase in Gio's carries.   Burrow certainly knows how to use his backs, and with Gio's proficiency in blitz pickups he's be a really nice modular piece in this offense.   The low # of carries and his young age, and the Bengals' willingness to pay him make me optimistic.

Part of that discrepancy could be attributed to poor pass protection.  Traditionally, the best executed screen passes took a few seconds to set up, and properly develop;  As in the OL selling the play as a run or 7 step drop protection, and then peeling off to get out in front of the RB.  As bad as the OL had been, since 2016 and forward, it seems like they completely geared to offense to getting the ball out of Andy's hand as quickly as possible. 

Perhaps, if the OL can take that step forward, like they looked like they were doing on the back stretch of last season, running a more complete playbook just might be viable option. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gio Bernard - The Forgotten Weapon - SunsetBengal - 07-20-2020, 02:44 PM