Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio Bernard - The Forgotten Weapon
(07-19-2020, 08:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with the OP, somewhat.  When Gio was forced into the featured back role, it became quickly evident that he could not physically stand up to the pounding, and repeatedly got dinged up.  Once he became healthy, Marvin and Co. sort of "pigeonholed" him into the 3rd down/change of pace back role.  He remains a very stout pass blocking back, as well as an explosive outlet receiver or surprise hand off back.  

I truly believe that his limited role was enacted to prolong his healthy days, as he is such an outstanding pass blocker and emergency outlet receiver.  I'd like to see him get more use than simply as a pass blocker, perhaps Coach Taylor and Co. can find a way to get him at least 200 touches this season.

Well said Sunset. Wes is right that Gio is often forgotten but the one thing he does bring to the table is the ability to pick up the
blitz which is one of the most underrated abilities in RB's. One thing about Darren Sproles that not many people mentioned about
him was that he was phenomenal at picking up the blitz. Interestingly enough Sproles is a RB I compare Gio to, not as dynamic 
as a Returner and Gio is bigger obviously but they have/had similar styles in their game.

In the end though I think injuries and just getting hit have taken a toll on Gio. He just hasn't looked the same since 2015.

Surprised we paid him as much as we did as yes I think he is overpaid.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gio Bernard - The Forgotten Weapon - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-24-2020, 01:08 PM