Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weaknesses heading into season
I think Oline depth in general is a massive concern. If Jonah Williams has any set backs or is going through rookie struggles, we basically have no one to play LT, other than Fred Johnson who the coaches do not believe can replace Bobby Hart. He played admirably at LT in 2 games last year, so there's a chance LT wouldn't be an absolute trainwreck if something happens to Williams, but it is not a strength by any means.

I think CB depth is a major concern as well. Waynes being out hurts a ton and apparently Alexander has not been great in practice. Hopefully, Phillips steps up.

I think DT depth is still a concern, but may not be as big as it was before the recent signings. Our starting 2 are great and we have at least 1 solid back up for each position as well, as well as players like Hubbard flexing inside on passing downs.
EDIT: Forgot Tupou opted out. So, yea we don't have a good backup for Reader. Let's hope he stays healthy!

I think LB experience is going to be something that is going to show poorly, especially early on. Our rookie LBs have a lot of promise, but so much of LB play is instincts and reading offenses and you can't expect them to pick that up immediately.

Inexperience at QB is also a concern, but with the way Joe has handled the off season and based on interviews he's had and seeing how his teammates are reacting to him, I'm less worried about his acclimation to the NFL as I am the other players I mention above. We're all hoping that Joe is as advertised and he comes in and is immediately a pro bowl level QB, but I'm tempering my expectations here. I expect to see rookie struggles.

If things go well, this team has everything it needs to compete for the playoffs. But a lot of uncertainty and depth issues could create chaos if inopportune injuries or significant rookie struggles occur that could very quickly destroy our season.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: weaknesses heading into season - Mer - 09-01-2020, 12:37 PM
RE: weaknesses heading into season - pally - 09-01-2020, 12:11 PM
RE: weaknesses heading into season - J24 - 09-01-2020, 12:33 PM
RE: weaknesses heading into season - CJD - 09-01-2020, 01:11 PM
RE: weaknesses heading into season - McC - 09-01-2020, 05:36 PM
RE: weaknesses heading into season - J24 - 09-03-2020, 02:22 PM
RE: weaknesses heading into season - McC - 09-01-2020, 07:39 PM