Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll Learn a Lot Over 5 Days (First Two Games)
(09-04-2020, 11:01 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: 1.) No preseason games is tough with a rookie QB
2.) when you play a scrimmage against your own D, forgive me if I don't remotely see that as challenging as a preseason game.
3.) Dude - for real? This is his 2nd year as HC. This isn't Marvin Lewis and he will get it together.
4.) Zac has actually got this FO off it's ass and started making some good off-season moves.
5.)I love the direction he has steered this organization.
6.) Zac won't give you any. He will take responsibility and correct it if he can and if not, try something different. 

1.) It is, you are correct.  But the Chargers have a new QB, and the Browns have a new coach, and new coordinators. 

I would argue this offseason affects the Browns the most. While it's difficult for a rookie QB to step in this way, I think it's even more difficult to install an enitirely new staff, and try to insert a system and culture in this current situation.

2.) But every team is scrimmaging their own defense.  They're all not being challened by normal preseason competition.  

3.) Key word for me here is 2nd.  I was pretty forgiving last season, and actually defended quite a bit on here.  But now he's got a full year under his belt, he got the best draft position you could have, he got a ton in free agency, and he's got AJ and Jonah back.

I'm not saying I expect great things immediately.  But an 0-2 start would be such a demoralizer.  Last year may have been the worst in franchise history.  Because of that I think there's some added urgency to see some sembelence of success.

4.) I'm not so sure about this.  While I believe he was involved with who to target I don't think it was his influence that spurred the spending.  I think the empty seats and performance on the field did that more than anything.  If it was a result of Taylor, why didn't he get the spend more last year?

5.) I'd like to actually see that direction play out on the field.  As of right now, I don't know what it is yet.  0-2 would leave me doubting it a little more, from a coaching standpoint.

6.) Fwiw, I didn't mean excuses from Taylor.  I just meant in general.  I know we're all pumped about the new team, so I think it's not unrealstic to expect at a W out of these two games.

I kinda just wanted to clarify with the above.  I didn't mean to just straight rip Taylor or anything like that.  I'm actually pretty positive right now.  And I honestly would be more shocked if we went 0-2 than 2-0.  This team really needs to pull one of these games out IMO.  That's all.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We'll Learn a Lot Over 5 Days (First Two Games) - Wes Mantooth - 09-04-2020, 12:11 PM