Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three plus years now of bad blocking schemes
(10-12-2020, 02:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I mean at some point you just have to admit your players aren't good enough, regardless of scheme. 

There was a play in the 2nd quarter where both Hart and Redmund were beaten badly, and it wasn't even a blitz. Another time, I think late 3rd quarter, the right side collapsed again on a pretty simple straight up blitz. Hart didn't even touch his guy and Redmund barely made contact. There were times were both Jordan and Hart were drove into Burrow's lap right after, or as, he planted.

The guard play has been especially bad, and having Hart at RT certainly does them no favors. 

My thing is it's not like Russell Bodine, Cedric Ogbeuhi, Jake Fisher, Cordy Glenn, etc all left and were good magically. We had two guys here as we melted down in Whitworth and Zeitler who were good, they left to "other schemes" and were still good. Everyone we keep bringing in, no matter what scheme we run has been bad. This to me screams we are horrible at evaluating talent.

The irony is that it's the college scheme that most likely is making these elite college guys look better than they are in the pros. In college, it is easier to hide flaws of guys than it is in the NFL because 1. you only face an elite rusher once or twice a year, and 2. the weaknesses in defenses are easier to identify which allows you to gameplan around elite pass rushers and working away from them quickly. In the case of someone like Price, I think it comes down to a mix of upper-level talent around him and a lack of matchups against "Elite" rushers.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Three plus years now of bad blocking schemes - Au165 - 10-12-2020, 02:54 PM