Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cap impact for Bengals 2021 Opponents
(02-11-2021, 06:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: To me they should move Jackson to WR or RB and draft a REAL QB who actually has touch on his passes. 

I wouldn't go that far. I think Lamar Jackson IS a QB, it's just I think his ceiling is an Alex Smith kind of QB rather than a Patrick Mahomes kind of QB. If you have a good defense and a good running game, he can consistently churn out winning seasons. He's just not good enough to carry an offense or carry a team through the postseason.

(02-11-2021, 06:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The Ravens situation was Brown was not the main discussion of this thread, I think I even said they probably pay him.

But, we play 50% of our games in 2021 against team who right now have cap problems, one the Lions also has no good receivers under contract. How do they keep them? Other like Packers have a very good running back that may hit the FA since they can't afford him.

The point being is those in cap hell, have a lot of work to do to stay competitive in 2021, teams like the Chiefs are deep and not as big a deal, but they too will have to make some tough calls.

I think the 50% cap problems thing won't be a huge deal when all is said and done. The good teams will manage to shift around money until the cap rises some more next year. 

This might be more of an issue if it was at the $175m cap that was the proposed amount, but $185m means there's probably really only a couple teams in true trouble. 

The Chiefs minus a couple players are still way better than most teams. The same with a lot of the real good teams. The Packers minus Aaron Jones still has Aaron Rodgers, Devante Adams, a really good OL, and an above-average defense.

(02-11-2021, 06:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Lamar Jackson is what makes that offense run.
He was the team's leading rusher, and his mobility is why they are able to run the ball well.
If you put just a game manager QB back there, how much of a rushing threat is he going to be?
If not much, opponents will be able to key in on the RB and really make their offense ineffective.

Luckily, since Jackson was drafted in 1st round, they get the 5th year option, which isn't until 2022, so they can avoid paying him a big contract for 2021, but they will really be hurting if they give a payday to Jackson, Stanley, and Orlando Brown. They would basically always have to use draft picks or cheap FAs for their offensive weapons.

The really good OL and a really good defense is what makes that offense run. 

Ravens Scoring Defense Last 2 Years:
2nd
3rd

Ravens Rushing Offense Minus Lamar Last 2 Years:
8th
7th
(That's basically just removing 160 plays off their stats and they're still easily top-10.)

Ravens Passing Offense Last 2 Years:
32nd
29th

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cap impact for Bengals 2021 Opponents - TheLeonardLeap - 02-11-2021, 07:57 PM