Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comp Pick Projection
Nice to see.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-compensatory-pick-projections-for-every-team

I didn’t expect to get any comp picks after being so active in free agency this year.

Landing an extra 4th in next years draft would be really nice. We have been known to land some big time players in 4. I hope this is right.
Reply/Quote
We should get some extra picks for having Marvin Lewis as a coach for so long.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 09:25 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Nice to see.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-compensatory-pick-projections-for-every-team

I didn’t expect to get any comp picks after being so active in free agency this year.

Landing an extra 4th in next years draft would be really nice. We have been known to land some big time players in 4. I hope this is right.

the formula could also change if John Ross actually plays  a full season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 09:30 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: We should get some extra picks for having Marvin Lewis as a coach for so long.

So looking back, you think the ZT hiring was an awesome job by the FO. Hmmm......

How has team done since the Bengals all time HC  leader in wins left?

The ML hate is over the top still by some even when the facts say in comparison to the new guy, he is a HOF coach.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 11:11 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So looking back, you think the ZT hiring was an awesome job by the FO. Hmmm......

The ML hate is over the top still by some even when the facts say in comparison to the new guy, he is a HOF coach.

The new guy inherited an old, declining, outdated NFL roster that had a nearly bare cupboard as far as up and coming talent was concerned. There's a reason ML had 3 straight losing seasons, each one worse looking than before.

Oh... and ZT inherited a backup caliber starting QB in Andy Dalton. It's not like he had a guy leading the team who was capable and outstanding at the job. It wasn't Aaron Rodgers back there... It was a guy who was buoyed by the extreme talent around him his whole career. Once that declined, the QB absolutely tanked.

The quick hook people want to give coaches and QBs is just astounding to me. 3 or 4 seasons for a brand new HC isn't an outrageous ask. Especially given how bad the drafts were leading up to his hiring. 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 11:11 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So looking back, you think the ZT hiring was an awesome job by the FO. Hmmm......

Just because Zac Taylor is an absolute clown of a coach doesn't mean Marvin Lewis wasn't here too long.  Both things can be true.

Also, the "All Time Wins Leader" is a lot less impressive considering the tenures of our previous head coaches:

Marvin Lewis - 16
Paul Brown - 8
Sam Whyche - 8
Bruce Coslet - 5
Dave Shula - 5
Forrest Gregg - 4
Bill Johnson - 3
Dick Lebeau - 3
Homer Rice - 2

Johnson and Gregg had higher winning percentages, and Greg went to a Superbowl.  Whyche was slightly lower than Lewis but also went to a Superbowl.

I'm not pointing any of this stuff out just to shit on Marvin Lewis.  He was a solid coach, and honestly given what he had to work with he was probably better than we'll ever really know.  But the man was here entirely way too long.  He would have been fired anywhere else about a decade earlier.  To continue to retain a coach who can't even win a single playoff game sends an absolutely terrible message.  To your fans, to your players, to all of your employees. 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 11:30 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just because Zac Taylor is an absolute clown of a coach doesn't mean Marvin Lewis wasn't here too long.  Both things can be true.

Also, the "All Time Wins Leader" is a lot less impressive considering the tenures of our previous head coaches:

Marvin Lewis - 16
Paul Brown - 8
Sam Whyche - 8
Bruce Coslet - 5
Dave Shula - 5
Forrest Gregg - 4
Bill Johnson - 3
Dick Lebeau - 3
Homer Rice - 2

Johnson and Gregg had higher winning percentages, and Greg went to a Superbowl.  Whyche was slightly lower than Lewis but also went to a Superbowl.

I'm not pointing any of this stuff out just to shit on Marvin Lewis.  He was a solid coach, and honestly given what he had to work with he was probably better than we'll ever really know.  But the man was here entirely way too long.  He would have been fired anywhere else about a decade earlier.  To continue to retain a coach who can't even win a single playoff game sends an absolutely terrible message.  To your fans, to your players, to all of your employees. 

Good post.

One nit: Sam Wyche. No 'h' in his name.
Reply/Quote

All fair points. I think the others are reacting to things you didn't even say lol. I do believe the ML hate is over the top (as it is with Carson imo) but I wouldn't take it too seriously. It's all in good fun.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 11:23 AM)PDub80 Wrote: The new guy inherited an old, declining, outdated NFL roster that had a nearly bare cupboard as far as up and coming talent was concerned. There's a reason ML had 3 straight losing seasons, each one worse looking than before.

Oh... and ZT inherited a backup caliber starting QB in Andy Dalton. It's not like he had a guy leading the team who was capable and outstanding at the job. It wasn't Aaron Rodgers back there... It was a guy who was buoyed by the extreme talent around him his whole career. Once that declined, the QB absolutely tanked.

The quick hook people want to give coaches and QBs is just astounding to me. 3 or 4 seasons for a brand new HC isn't an outrageous ask. Especially given how bad the drafts were leading up to his hiring. 

Lmao aaannd the Andy Dalton bashing from pdub lol
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 11:30 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: But the man was here entirely way too long.  He would have been fired anywhere else about a decade earlier. 

I think this is true. But it doesn't mean he should have been fired earlier imo (certainly not by a decade). I don't know how many of those years were spent trying to re-legitimize the Bengals' brand, where stability was as important as success. Would he have been fired earlier in Green Bay/Dallas/Denver/KC, etc.? Yes. Does that mean anything for the Bengals given the decade-plus that preceded him? Not so much. 

Even in hindsight, I don't know what the "right time" would have been to fire the man. He deserved some credit/margin for this franchise's unique context, but just how much is the question- to which I still don't have an answer. I could have seen it backfiring even worse had they let him go too soon. And it might even be moot if we're in the same spot now after having waited too long. The situation in Cincinnati was always more sensitive than any other team's.

In the end, the cards were stacked against him from the day he got here. I'm as grateful for the things he managed to accomplish as I am disgusted that he couldn't win a single playoff game. It's hard to side with either extreme imo. 
Reply/Quote
2022 4th round pick < Having signed another legitimate high quality starting OL in FA for 2021

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 10:28 AM)pally Wrote: the formula could also change if John Ross actually plays  a full season

hahahahaha
Reply/Quote
We do well when drafting 4th rounders. Awesome.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 03:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We do well when drafting 4th rounders. Awesome.

4th rounders under Zac Taylor:

Ryan Finley 
Renell Wren
Michael Jordan
Akeem Davis-Gaither
(Plus the 3 this year.)

They're certainly going for saturation. 3 drafts under Taylor, 7 guys taken in the 4th round.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 04:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 4th rounders under Zac Taylor:

Ryan Finley 
Renell Wren
Michael Jordan
Akeem Davis-Gaither
(Plus the 3 this year.)

They're certainly going for saturation. 3 drafts under Taylor, 7 guys taken in the 4th round.

I do like the ADG pick and the picks this year. The Finley and Jordan picks were shit though, jury still out on Wren.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 05:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I do like the ADG pick and the picks this year. The Finley and Jordan picks were shit though, jury still out on Wren.

Finley pick still blows my mind. Not just a 4th round pick, but they also gave up two 6th round picks to move up and get him on top of that. Did nobody from the Bengals ever watch him throw before they drafted him? His arm is clearly not an NFL caliber arm, and his NFL rookie year was his age 25 year, so it's not like he was 20-21 and could potentially grow into a stronger arm. 

Not sure how much stock you put in PFF, but ADG had a 40.7 rating last year. Granted I don't know if the kid's getting a fair shake since Anarumo is his DC.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 06:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Finley pick still blows my mind. Not just a 4th round pick, but they also gave up two 6th round picks to move up and get him on top of that. Did nobody from the Bengals ever watch him throw before they drafted him? His arm is clearly not an NFL caliber arm, and his NFL rookie year was his age 25 year, so it's not like he was 20-21 and could potentially grow into a stronger arm. 

Not sure how much stock you put in PFF, but ADG had a 40.7 rating last year. Granted I don't know if the kid's getting a fair shake since Anarumo is his DC.

I know you're a google scout but Ryan Finley upped his draft stock during his process. He was the best QB during the senior bowl which included Giants first round pick Daniel Jones.

ADG started rough which is expected considering he wasnt a traditional LB in college and didnt have a real offseason. Year 2 and 3 will be big for him in the Pros.

Edit: Renell Wren is still a mystery. He has the talent, build, athleticism of a top NFL player. That is a guy I'm hoping can take his game to the next level in year 3.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 06:57 PM)Synric Wrote: I know you're a google scout but Ryan Finley upped his draft stock during his process. He was the best QB during the senior bowl which included Giants first round pick Daniel Jones.

ADG started rough which is expected considering he wasnt a traditional LB in college and didnt have a real offseason. Year 2 and 3 will be big for him in the Pros.

Edit: Renell Wren is still a mystery. He has the talent, build, athleticism of a top NFL player. That is a guy I'm hoping can take his game to the next level in year 3.

What does that even mean? Lol.. that I am not an NFL scout? Sure, I would assume the vast majority of people on here aren't.

[Image: EIS7HtqWkAEg7ml?format=jpg&name=small]

Dude lived within 10 yards from the LoS his final year. Again, he was a 24-year-old senior playing against kids. He was also 18-50 (36%) on passes further than 20 yards from the LoS. Those windows don't get bigger in the NFL.

Even if you watch his Senior Bowl highlights, I think I saw only 1 pass completed further than 5 yards from the LoS, it was about 12-13 yards down the field and it didn't get there quickly.

- - - - - -

Also, he certainly wasn't the best QB at the Senior Bowl.

(4th Qtr) Finley: 7-11, 83 yards
(3rd/4th Qtr) D Jones: 8-11, 115 yards/1 Pass TD, 1 Rushing TD
(4th Qtr) T Jackson: 13-21, 165 yards/2 Pass TD/1 INT

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 07:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What does that even mean? Lol.. that I am not an NFL scout? Sure, I would assume the vast majority of people on here aren't.

[Image: EIS7HtqWkAEg7ml?format=jpg&name=small]

Dude lived within 10 yards from the LoS his final year. Again, he was a 24-year-old senior playing against kids. He was also 18-50 (36%) on passes further than 20 yards from the LoS. Those windows don't get bigger in the NFL.

Even if you watch his Senior Bowl highlights, I think I saw only 1 pass completed further than 5 yards from the LoS, it was about 12-13 yards down the field and it didn't get there quickly.

- - - - - -

Also, he certainly wasn't the best QB at the Senior Bowl.

(4th Qtr) Finley: 7-11, 83 yards
(3rd/4th Qtr) D Jones: 8-11, 115 yards/1 Pass TD, 1 Rushing TD
(4th Qtr) T Jackson: 13-21, 165 yards/2 Pass TD/1 INT

Point proven in one post.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 08:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Point proven in one post.

Point proven in one post that you just come in, post zero facts and all opinion about a player, I use facts to prove otherwise, and you go smug? If you say so, man.

Reply/Quote