Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where is the Bates Extension?
I want to buy his jersey and am waiting on this. If he walks after this year I'm going to be SUPES pissed.

Get it done, Mike.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 05:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I want to buy his jersey and am waiting on this. If he walks after this year I'm going to be SUPES pissed.

Get it done, Mike.

Pretty sure that's now Katie's responsibility, not Mike's.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 05:03 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Pretty sure that's now Katie's responsibility, not Mike's.

Get it done, Katers. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 05:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Get it done, Katers. 

Gimme some taters on my platers, Katers.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Fwiw, I went back and looked up the dates of a number of our extensions a couple of months ago.  I can't remember everyone I checked but I know I looked at Andy, AJ, Carlos, and Geno.  Anyways, I believe almost all of them signed their new deals between the middle of August and early Septemeber.

So let's all just hope everything is fine and is going according to plan.  Hopefully this will get done and there is nothing to worry about.  But if it's not?  Well, that's a big freaking problem.  Bates is arguably our only proven, elite level player.  There's something very wrong if they don't get him locked up.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 05:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, I went back and looked up the dates of a number of our extensions a couple of months ago.  I can't remember everyone I checked but I know I looked at Andy, AJ, Carlos, and Geno.  Anyways, I believe almost all of them signed their new deals between the middle of August and early Septemeber.

So let's all just hope everything is fine and is going according to plan.  Hopefully this will get done and there is nothing to worry about.  But if it's not?  Well, that's a big freaking problem.  Bates is arguably our only proven, elite level player.  There's something very wrong if they don't get him locked up.

never know what holds up a contract negotiation... Player or the Team or the greedy little agent who wants his % to be bigger lol...

But like someone said Saftey is a position you can afford to tag.  (although i hate tagging players as our record for retaining after tagging is BAD)
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 05:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I want to buy his jersey and am waiting on this. If he walks after this year I'm going to be SUPES pissed.

Get it done, Mike.

Well, that's by far the least likely scenario, so no worries there. Even if he doesn't get extended, franchise tagging him the next two years in a row would still be cheaper on average.

The franchise tag $ for safeties in 2021 was ~$10.5m. Even if you add 20% onto that for a second straight year of tagging, that's still ~$12.6m.

So if you look at his 2021 $2.9m cap hit, and figure they can tag him the next two years for $23.1m, that's a total of 3yr/$26m that they can get him at, which is probably why there hasn't been an extension yet since it'll probably be more like 4yr/$60m (5yr/$62.9m when you factor in 2021). Means for that extra 2 years they'd be paying almost $37m.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 05:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, I went back and looked up the dates of a number of our extensions a couple of months ago.  I can't remember everyone I checked but I know I looked at Andy, AJ, Carlos, and Geno.  Anyways, I believe almost all of them signed their new deals between the middle of August and early Septemeber.

No doubt. Get it done soon please. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Tobin did say Bates was their next priority extension. I hope like Wes says, it gets done in the neat 3 weeks.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't worry until it's a week before the opener and he isn't signed. They'll get it done. He wants to be here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Still plenty of time to get the deal done. The Bengals usually stop extension talks when week 1 hits, with AJ Green being the last exception. From what was said, Katie is working on this deal while Troy worked on the Hubbard extension.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

[Image: OffensiveEarnestLiger-max-1mb.gif]
Reply/Quote

Have to believe they would tag him if they don't get the extension done right? Not sure what the tag hit would be for a safety but as you said, Bates is the only elite level guy on the team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 08:34 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I wouldn't worry until it's a week before the opener and he isn't signed. They'll get it done. He wants to be here.

Wants to move his Mom here too.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/7/30/22601133/jessie-bates-contract-extension-bengals-nfl-news-rumors-free-agents-2022

When a guy with this much talent openly says he wants to be here, you have to make sure you don't screw it up.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 01:54 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Wants to move his Mom here too.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/7/30/22601133/jessie-bates-contract-extension-bengals-nfl-news-rumors-free-agents-2022

When a guy with this much talent openly says he wants to be here, you have to make sure you don't screw it up.

Don't want to offer him too much money. He might become lazy and lethargic. But not so low he feels lowballed and leaves. Got to be just the right offer.
Reply/Quote

Get it done, Mike.

Right.  It is now August. Since Bengals never talk contracts once season starts, it is Now or Never.  Do Mike Brown and Bengals even know how stupid they would be not to keep Bates Motel.  He is the best young Safety in the NFL. Finally a draft pick that has panned out. He is still on his rookie signing contract, but common sense that no team can keep him at starting rookie pay.  It is time to give him a veteran contract and lock him in a few years.  I don't even want to hear Franchise Tag because that is even more stupid. Players hate it and one more reason for him to leave.  Bates is somebody they should want on the team many years.  

Mike Brown, stop being as CHEAP as you always are, and get the best young defensive safety in the NFL signed long term.  Build a good team around Joe Burrow, and that means keeping young Defensive Star Bates. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don’t doubt we have made an offer. It’s on Bates. He might get on himself and play for the big pay day. We would tag him though
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 06:54 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don’t doubt we have made an offer. It’s on Bates. He might get on himself and play for the big pay day. We would tag him though

WHY do people always say they are sure Mike Brown has made players an offer, and it is on the player if he leaves.  THIS is why Bengals haven't won a play-off game since Paul Brown died 30 years ago.  If Bengals do not resign Bates it is just more of Mike Brown being too CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP.   If Mike Browns OFFER isn't much more than Bates rookie contract he is still on, then that is really no OFFER.  

Now there were players lately that I'm glad Bengals let go.  However the contract money they saved should go to keeping good players. Bates is one of the best young Defensive players in the NFL.  IF Bengals do not keep Bates, They Deserve To LOSE, for they are too CHEAP. 

Fans talking Franchise Tag of Bates for one more year only are too much into Mike Brown Cheapness.  I don't see Bengals in Super Bowl in 2021, but signing Bates long term and building a team around Joe Burrow could get them to Super Bowl in future.  Young star Bates should be signed long term NOW.  

I'm always amazed how many fans take Mike Browns side over the 30 years of losing under him, as if the fans are more worried about Mike Browns bank account than winning. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 07:34 AM)kevin Wrote: WHY do people always say they are sure Mike Brown has made players an offer, and it is on the player if he leaves.  THIS is why Bengals haven't won a play-off game since Paul Brown died 30 years ago.  If Bengals do not resign Bates it is just more of Mike Brown being too CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP.   If Mike Browns OFFER isn't much more than Bates rookie contract he is still on, then that is really no OFFER.  

Now there were players lately that I'm glad Bengals let go.  However the contract money they saved should go to keeping good players. Bates is one of the best young Defensive players in the NFL.  IF Bengals do not keep Bates, They Deserve To LOSE, for they are too CHEAP. 

Fans talking Franchise Tag of Bates for one more year only are too much into Mike Brown Cheapness.  I don't see Bengals in Super Bowl in 2021, but signing Bates long term and building a team around Joe Burrow could get them to Super Bowl in future.  Young star Bates should be signed long term NOW.  

I'm always amazed how many fans take Mike Browns side over the 30 years of losing under him, as if the fans are more worried about Mike Browns bank account than winning. 

Well one there arent many high end players we let leave without at least offering a contract to.

They wont pay much more than the going rate for a top 5 saftey and they shouldnt need to.
Reply/Quote
I don't know why they are waiting. Simmons and Adams are about to reset the market and then they'll truly be screwed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote