Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique this Top 5 Bengals picks idea

Just an idea popping up in my head lately. *It assumes that a Free Agent Corner will be signed before the Draft*

18 - Brian Thomas Jr (WR) - 6 foot 3  209 pounds - Replaces Boyd in 2024 & TEE in 2025. add 4.33 speed to Offense

49 - McKinnley Jackson (DT) - 6 foot 2  325 pounds - I think he will not be available at pick #80, so get him here.

80 - Trey Benson (RB) - 6 foot  216 pounds - add 4.39 speed to the running back Group & a future Starter

97 - Blake Fisher (OT) - 6 foot 5 & 3/4  310 pounds - Could develop into the starting RT role over time.

115 - Theo Johnson (TE) - 6 foot 6  259 pounds - 4.57 forty - Duke mentioned ending the revolving door at TE.

* I think that certain players that people & myself covet at certain picks just won't be there.

** These choices may actually be available at each pick.

How would Posters feel about this ?  Happy / Sad / Hopeless / Glad  (etc)   Wub
Reply/Quote
I'd rather draft a WR in the 3rd or 4th round.
I'm not sold on Brian Thomas.

(1) If I'm going to spend 18 on a wideout its one of the top wideouts and I doubt they fall.
I'd look to a corner if a top one falls, an OT if a top one falls, or DT. But I'm leaning towards a trade down.

(2) That's probably high for McKinnley at 49. I'd pick Sweat or trade back and get more 3rd/4th round picks.

(3) I'd prefer not to spend one of our high picks on a running back. I don't see it as a major need. This could be a good spot to get a WR or OT.

(3) Blake Fischer could certainly be a target if we can't get a tackle higher in the draft. Otherwise WR or maybe you take McKinnley here. RB too, maybe Corum falls.

(4) I'd prefer a corner at 115 if the right one is there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not addressing OT till late 3rd not a fan.. after signing 3 TEs i don;t think they go TE in 4th either
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 03:27 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I'd rather draft a WR in the 3rd or 4th round.
I'm not sold on Brian Thomas.

(1) If I'm going to spend 18 on a wideout its one of the top wideouts and I doubt they fall.
I'd look to a corner if a top one falls, an OT if a top one falls, or DT. But I'm leaning towards a trade down.

(2) That's probably high for McKinnley at 49. I'd pick Sweat or trade back and get more 3rd/4th round picks.

(3) I'd prefer not to spend one of our high picks on a running back. I don't see it as a major need. This could be a good spot to get a WR or OT.

(3) Blake Fischer could certainly be a target if we can't get a tackle higher in the draft. Otherwise WR or maybe you take McKinnley here. RB too, maybe Corum falls.

(4) I'd prefer a corner at 115 if the right one is there.

I get where you are coming from.

I tend to doubt that OT's like Fuaga or Latham are there at pick 18 and I counted on a Corner from Free Agency.

Brian Thomas Jr may be heading towards BPA at around pick 18 but I flip flop here depending on who else would be there.

I tend to doubt that Sweat gets to pick #49 and I doubt Mckinnley makes it to pick #80, so I went with McKinnley at #49.

I could switch out the RB at pick #80 & get one later but Trey Benson could add some speed here. Other options do exist at #80.

I'm open at pick #115 but Theo looks like a decent Tight End option here.

I am very flexible and as the Draft approaches and I'm trying to get as realistic as possible about who may not be available at each pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 03:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not addressing OT till late 3rd not a fan.. after signing 3 TEs i don;t think they go TE in 4th either

I here you and am not against a small Trade up in round 1 (say 4 or 5 spots) to get a Fuaga or Latham.

I doubt either Fuaga or Latham will be there at pick #18.

OT options may get thin by pick #18 but would not be against an OT pick if the Bengals can Nail it.

Brian Thomas Jr could be getting near BPA level at around pick #18 but there are other options.

Duke had mentioned wanting to solve the revolving door at TE which made me think of one here at 115 in Theo.

If no TE at #115 then there are a number of ways to go there that I would be open to.
Reply/Quote
Meh. Prefer more meat, less flash.

Bengals need to

1. Protect Burrow better

2. Improve the defense

I like getting more toys and options for Burrow, but keeping him untouched giving him time to make his reads is more important IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 04:21 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Meh. Prefer more meat, less flash.

Bengals need to

1. Protect Burrow better

2. Improve the defense

I like getting more toys and options for Burrow, but keeping him untouched giving him time to make his reads is more important IMO.

1000000000000000000000% this!!!!! It’s a big man’s game. Build it right inside out. Kids always wanna do outside in. Silly kids
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 04:21 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Meh. Prefer more meat, less flash.

Bengals need to

1. Protect Burrow better

2. Improve the defense

I have my less Flash ideas too but this one is sticking in my mind lately.

Part of it leans on me thinking that Blake Fisher will develop into a starting RT & I get a DT in McKinnley plus a Free Agent Corner.

Brian Thomas Jr helps the Team with the loss of Boyd & with the TEE issue over time.

Trey Benson adds 4.39 speed & may bring something like what Detroit got from Jahmyr Gibbs last year.

The Theo Johnson pick could be changed into "more meat" but Duke mentioned wanting to stop the revolving door at TE.

*I'm flexible...
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 02:39 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Just an idea popping up in my head lately. *It assumes that a Free Agent Corner will be signed before the Draft*

18 - Brian Thomas Jr (WR) - 6 foot 3  209 pounds - Replaces Boyd in 2024 & TEE in 2025. add 4.33 speed to Offense

49 - McKinnley Jackson (DT) - 6 foot 2  325 pounds - I think he will not be available at pick #80, so get him here.

80 - Trey Benson (RB) - 6 foot  216 pounds - add 4.39 speed to the running back Group & a future Starter

97 - Blake Fisher (OT) - 6 foot 5 & 3/4  310 pounds - Could develop into the starting RT role over time.

115 - Theo Johnson (TE) - 6 foot 6  259 pounds - 4.57 forty - Duke mentioned ending the revolving door at TE.

* I think that certain players that people & myself covet at certain picks just won't be there.

I would switch Jackson and Fisher spots. Also would hope for a 3T in the draft as well!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 05:03 PM)J24 Wrote: I would switch Jackson and Fisher spots. Also would hope for a 3T in the draft as well!

When you say switch, do you mean take Fisher earlier and Jackson later -or- just not take either of them ?

I just think Jackson will go in the 2nd round (or very early 3rd) but I could be wrong.

*Also the Theo Johnson pick is the one I am least tied to. I could easily do another position group there (not TE)

maybe DT Mekhi Wingo.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 02:39 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

18.Would be good with it depending on who's on the board.  I would rather get a T here, but I wouldn't be mad if Thomas was the pick.

49.Just no.  Jackson isn't even a Top 100 prospect, and we're drafting him at 49?  There are other ways to get a NT than making ridiculous reaches for a guy that probably won't be better than Hill or Rankins in that role this year, anyways.

80.Benson is probably my fave RB is this class and we need one pretty badly, so I'd be happy here.

97.I would really like a T before this point.  Like Fisher as a prospect, but to me he's a guy that if he was thee in 4 I'd snap him up for depth.

115.Wouldn't have a huge issue.  Massive upside and we normally carry 4 TE's 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 05:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: 18.Would be good with it depending on who's on the board.  I would rather get a T here, but I wouldn't be mad if Thomas was the pick.

49.Just no.  Jackson isn't even a Top 100 prospect, and we're drafting him at 49?  There are other ways to get a NT than making ridiculous reaches for a guy that probably won't be better than Hill or Rankins in that role this year, anyways.

80.Benson is probably my fave RB is this class and we need one pretty badly, so I'd be happy here.

97.I would really like a T before this point.  Like Fisher as a prospect, but to me he's a guy that if he was thee in 4 I'd snap him up for depth.

115.Wouldn't have a huge issue.  Massive upside and we normally carry 4 TE's 

You could be right about McKinnley Jackson.

I see him going anywhere from mid 2nd round to mid 3rd but maybe he goes later.
Reply/Quote
I like it honestly. Brian Thomas Jr is the perfect Tee replacement with more speed, better deep threat. Allows Chase to move to
the Slot where he has played his best IMO.

I know some are saying it is a reach for McKinnley Jackson at 49, but I disagree, he is the 2nd best NT in this Draft.

Trey Benson is one of my favorite RB's in this class and has more speed than my guy Braelon Allen, love it.

Blake Fisher is a good one to learn behind Trent Brown. Love the Theo Johnson pick, he is one of the 4 TE's in this Draft I would
love to add. Good job Depthchart.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 05:28 PM)depthchart Wrote: You could be right about McKinnley Jackson.

I see him going anywhere from mid 2nd round to mid 3rd but maybe he goes later.

He's currently the consensus #112 prospect.  I could see maybe using our 3rd round comp to reach a bit for him, but no higher than that for me.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 05:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like it honestly. Brian Thomas Jr is the perfect Tee replacement with more speed, better deep threat. Allows Chase to move to
the Slot where he has played his best IMO.

I know some are saying it is a reach for McKinnley Jackson at 49, but I disagree, he is the 2nd best NT in this Draft.

Trey Benson is one of my favorite RB's in this class and has more speed than my guy Braelon Allen, love it.

Blake Fisher is a good one to learn behind Trent Brown. Love the Theo Johnson pick, he is one of the 4 TE's in this Draft I would
love to add. Good job Depthchart.

Nice to have your approval.

I thought that I would be flying totally alone on this Mock because it is a little off center from what most feel should be focused on.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 05:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: When you say switch, do you mean take Fisher earlier and Jackson later -or- just not take either of them ?

I just think Jackson will go in the 2nd round (or very early 3rd) but I could be wrong.

*Also the Theo Johnson pick is the one I am least tied to. I could easily do another position group there (not TE)

maybe DT Mekhi Wingo.

Take Fisher at 49 and Jackson at 97. I wouldn't mind Theo at 115 at all.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 05:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: Nice to have your approval.

I thought that I would be flying totally alone on this Mock because it is a little off center from what most feel should be focused on.

Not alone at all. I know everyone always is wanting OL to be the pick early...

Not for me, the Trent Brown signing has changed my mind a bit on needing to take an OT at 18 and just because we take one at 18
doesn't mean he will be better than Blake Fisher either. I bet there were talks with Trent Brown about if he can stay relatively healthy 
and play well that we would extend him, sure would be awesome to have RT taken care of for years to come and he is a swing Tackle
to provide insurance in case Orlando goes down at any time.

Getting the 2nd best run stopping NT in the 2nd round also doesn't sound like a reach to me. Have to take a RB in this Draft in my 
opinion, love Chase Brown and the Zack Moss addition for pass pro and such but it would be nice to have a big, physical RB like Trey
Benson, Braelon Allen, Jonathan Brooks etc that are hard to tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 05:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: Nice to have your approval.

Every player you picked is at a position of need and you got fair value on all the selections except Jackson.  Not sure why anyone would have a huge problem with it.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 03:48 PM)depthchart Wrote: I get where you are coming from.

I tend to doubt that OT's like Fuaga or Latham are there at pick 18 and I counted on a Corner from Free Agency.

Brian Thomas Jr may be heading towards BPA at around pick 18 but I flip flop here depending on who else would be there.

I tend to doubt that Sweat gets to pick #49 and I doubt Mckinnley makes it to pick #80, so I went with McKinnley at #49.

I could switch out the RB at pick #80 & get one later but Trey Benson could add some speed here. Other options do exist at #80.

I'm open at pick #115 but Theo looks like a decent Tight End option here.

I am very flexible and as the Draft approaches and I'm trying to get as realistic as possible about who may not be available at each pick.

Bengals definitely need to add a FA corner. I'm not expecting a chance at one of the pro-ready corners. I'm thinking they pick one in the 4th or later and he adds to the development pool.

Brian Thomas could be good. But he could bust out too. Receivers in the 1st round seem to have around a 50% hit rate, 50% bust rate so I am weary and only want to pick one if I feel like it's a slam dunk. We already have our slam dunk in Chase and can easily fill out the room with mid round picks where there is more value.

For the top pick I am wanting a trade down and to dip into the Oline or DT pool. 

DT is top heavy so it would be ideal to get one at the end of the 1st or start of the 2nd.
McKinnley will rise up the draft boards I believe. But he is rated to go much lower. Therefore a trade down would again make sense to me in that situation.

RB is just a position I don't think we need to draft high. We've got our 1st and 2nd stringers set--and I love their potential as a duo. 
I'm very high on Brown, and Moss is perfect for our offense--especially out of pass formations.
If we're to draft a RB, I'd like it to be because he fell and we just can't pass up the talent. 
But there are much bigger needs that can be filled. And it's a weak draft for RB so I'm totally fine not picking one.

Tight end I feel the same. What we need is a blocking tight end that can be a pass catcher when called upon. Someone to back up Sample.
I feel like we could target that position late unless there was a tight end that fell that was just too good to pass up on.

I like the Fischer pick because athletically he has the makings of a good offensive tackle. He just needs coaching/development. 
That's good value where you picked him.

Overall it makes sense--I get what you are trying to do. I would just like a little more meat with the draft. 
Another poster said the biggest areas we need to improve are on defense and along the oline. I agree.

I'd like to come out of a deep oline draft feeling like we got a healthy chunk of value.
It'd be nice to get a great OT and IOL prospect minimum. We need to get some young talent to develop in anticipation of expiring vet contracts.

And I'd like to come out of the draft feeling like we got a good chunk of defensive value as well to improve our biggest weakness last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 06:14 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Bengals definitely need to add a FA corner. I'm not expecting a chance at one of the pro-ready corners. I'm thinking they pick one in the 4th or later and he adds to the development pool.

Brian Thomas could be good. But he could bust out too. Receivers in the 1st round seem to have around a 50% hit rate, 50% bust rate so I am weary and only want to pick one if I feel like it's a slam dunk. We already have our slam dunk in Chase and can easily fill out the room with mid round picks where there is more value.

For the top pick I am wanting a trade down and to dip into the Oline or DT pool. 

DT is top heavy so it would be ideal to get one at the end of the 1st or start of the 2nd.
McKinnley will rise up the draft boards I believe. But he is rated to go much lower. Therefore a trade down would again make sense to me in that situation.

RB is just a position I don't think we need to draft high. We've got our 1st and 2nd stringers set--and I love their potential as a duo. 
I'm very high on Brown, and Moss is perfect for our offense--especially out of pass formations.
If we're to draft a RB, I'd like it to be because he fell and we just can't pass up the talent. 
But there are much bigger needs that can be filled. And it's a weak draft for RB so I'm totally fine not picking one.

Tight end I feel the same. What we need is a blocking tight end that can be a pass catcher when called upon. Someone to back up Sample.
I feel like we could target that position late unless there was a tight end that fell that was just too good to pass up on.

I like the Fischer pick because athletically he has the makings of a good offensive tackle. He just needs coaching/development. 
That's good value where you picked him.

Overall it makes sense--I get what you are trying to do. I would just like a little more meat with the draft. 
Another poster said the biggest areas we need to improve are on defense and along the oline. I agree.

I'd like to come out of a deep oline draft feeling like we got a healthy chunk of value.
It'd be nice to get a great OT and IOL prospect minimum. We need to get some young talent to develop in anticipation of expiring vet contracts.

And I'd like to come out of the draft feeling like we got a good chunk of defensive value as well to improve our biggest weakness last year.

Based on what you said, there could be 2 Trade Down opportunities early on.

Trade down off of pick #18

Trade down off of pick #49 (to maybe target McKinnley Jackson a little later)

*I do think DT McKinnley Jackson will rise on Draft Boards as you said but my pick at #49 may still be too early.

Two Trade Downs early sounds interesting and I stay open minded. 

Would the Bengals ever get this off script during a Draft ?  Probably not but it is interesting to think about.
Reply/Quote