Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if Jackson Carman magically worked out at LG and he was just a late bloomer?
I’ll never forget that Bills snow playoff game. Buddy was HANDLING BUSINESS.

Hes gonna be pretty high on my “what if” list if he is out the league soon.

So much potential
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2024, 04:45 PM)Housh Wrote: I’ll never forget that Bills snow playoff game. Buddy was HANDLING BUSINESS.

So much potential

I've always pulled for Carman because he has the talent to be a solid lineman...but I've also never felt like he was super motivated.
Reply/Quote
What are potential fellow late bloomers John Ross and Billy Price up to these days? Ninja

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2024, 04:45 PM)Housh Wrote: I’ll never forget that Bills snow playoff game. Buddy was HANDLING BUSINESS.

So much potential

Jackson Carman is only good at the left tackle position. His problem is he is not the #1 left tackle on the team, so he can't see the field. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2024, 08:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jackson Carman is only good at the left tackle position. His problem is he is not the #1 left tackle on the team, so he can't see the field. 

I watched his Clemson highlight tape(why i started this thread) and i did see he was doing work at LT

It’s a sad situation where we drafted an athlete we thought could play another position but it didn’t work out and we likely screwed up his whole career trajectory
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Which is more likely to happen?

A. Carman magically turns it on in camp and unseats a current starter on the OL?

B. As the article suggests, he gets cut.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/7/19/24201640/5-potentially-surprising-roster-cuts-for-bengals

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals have added a lot of depth to positions of weakness, like the offensive line and the secondary, this past offseason. What does that mean for veterans trying to hold on to their job?

Here are five players that could be cut by the time the regular season comes around:

Jackson Carman: The second round pick in the 2021 Draft simply hasn’t lived up to his potential. And the Bengals have added Trent Brown and Amarius Mims to bulk up the tackle position. This seems like an inevitable move, especially considering the fact that more than two-thirds of his $2.4 million cap hit wouldn’t count as dead money.

Chris Evans: The explosive running back has just 89 rushing yards to his name since being drafted in the sixth round of the 2021 Draft. With Chase Brown and Zack Moss as the lead backs, Evans will have to compete with Trayveon Williams for the third spot, and it seems Williams is a better fit on special teams.

Logan Woodside: It’s a feel-good story to have Woodside back where he originally began his career when drafted in the seventh round in 2018. Yes, he was only re-signed this offseason, and Joe Burrow is still rehabilitating, but Woodside isn’t likely to make the 53 man roster. Cincinnati already has its two QB roster spots figured out with Burrow as the starter and Jake Browning as the backup.

Kwamie Lassiter II, Kendric Pryor, and Shedrick Jackson: Don’t be shocked if all three of these receivers are let go, as the Bengals are already loaded at the position with Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Jermaine Burton, Trenton Irwin, Charlie Jones, and Andrei Iosivas.

D’Ante Smith: Though the Bengals need depth at tackle, they may just decide they’ve seen enough of Smith, who, similar to Carman, simply hasn’t demonstrated he deserves consistent snaps at tackle since being drafted in 2021. Orlando Brown Jr. and Trent Brown will likely be the starters with Mims getting his opportunities early. That leaves some space on the roster, but Cincinnati may decide to go for a cheaper option with more upside (simply due to the element of the unknown).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Carman is probably a LT only, but that position has been filled since he was drafted so he never had a true shot at it. He earned the "what if" status after his play in the 2022 post season.

Carman reminds me of Andre Smith. Just someone who took a lot of heat from coaches for various reasons but held their head up and continued to work hard. Andre got his shot, Carman doesn't seem like he will.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, 2nd rounders can't afford to be late bloomers in this league. His window to be a contributor on this team has probably been closed.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2024, 10:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is more likely to happen?

A. Carman magically turns it on in camp and unseats a current starter on the OL?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/7/19/24201640/5-potentially-surprising-roster-cuts-for-bengals

(07-26-2024, 10:09 AM)jj22 Wrote: Carman is probably a LT only, but that position has been filled since he was drafted so he never had a true shot at it. He earned the "what if" status after his play in the 2022 post season.

Carman reminds me of Andre Smith. Just someone who took a lot of heat from coaches for various reasons but held their head up and continued to work hard. Andre got his shot, Carman doesn't seem like he will.

Carman has shown some chops at both LT and LG.
He was not good at all on the right side.

It's sad that he got beat out at LG by rookie Cordell Volson, but it is what it is at this point.
Carman isn't winning any starter job on the Bengals.
I personally value him over D'Ante Smith, who has shown absolutely nothing at any position.
I am not sure what other guy they have who can back up LG right now, so I can see Carman staying.
Carman can be the backup LT/LG to OBJ and Volson.

I see the depth chart panning out like so:
LT - OBJ
LG - Volson
C - Karras
RG - Cappa
RT - Mims/TB

Backup OL:
LT/LG - Carman
C - Lee/Hill
RG/RT - Ford
Swing OT - Loser of the RT battle between Mims and TB
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
People don't realize how much the snow helped our OL that game. It's not a coincidence that's literally the only time Carman has looked halfway competent.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2024, 12:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People don't realize how much the snow helped our OL that game. It's not a coincidence that's literally the only time Carman has looked halfway competent.

I don't remember it slowing our D-line down any.....
Reply/Quote
What if Speedy went on a blind date and Kristen Bell showed up?

Seriously, it would be great if the light went on for Carman. But if it hasn't happened by now....
Reply/Quote
As a rookie Carman graded out higher than Volson his rookie season yet Carman gets benched while they let Volson be a 3 year starter. Carman has been moved all over the offensive line at every position but Center never getting a chance to settle in at one position while Volson has been allowed to learn at one position since he was drafted. Carman is 24, Volson is 26. Im not a big Carman fan but I dont think the coaching staff has done him any favors while they have bent over backwards for an older Volson.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2024, 10:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is more likely to happen?

(07-26-2024, 01:16 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: What if Speedy went on a blind date and Kristen Bell showed up?

Seriously, it would be great if the light went on for Carman.  But if it hasn't happened by now....

It's definitely not trending the right way for Carman.
Carman's played 10% offensive snaps or less each of the past 2 years.
My general rule of thumb is draft picks get 3 years to make an impact.
If you haven't done it by then, you're not going to on the team you're on.

Carman's best hope is stay on the roster as a depth piece and then go to a new team after his contract ends next offseason and hope to emerge as a starter there.
But he's out of the picture for the Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2024, 12:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People don't realize how much the snow helped our OL that game. It's not a coincidence that's literally the only time Carman has looked halfway competent.

He played good against KC too.

Reply/Quote
If FO and coaching staff determine Carman is not good enough to make our roster, maybe there is a better OL scheme team out there who would give us a late round draft pick or player.

Giants gave us a starting DL for Price. Carman is young and I would argue better than Price at this stage of his career.
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote

The ol’ “weather only affected one team” angle….

I got ya
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2024, 05:58 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What are potential fellow late bloomers John Ross and Billy Price up to these days?  Ninja

Still potentially blooming?
Reply/Quote
To be fair both Ross and Price got more shots to bloom.

I wasn't a fan of drafting Carman but he has worked hard every time I've seen him and never showed signs of disengagement even after the tough love coaches have shown him. And I did see something (maybe the potential they saw) for the first time in 2022.... 

Reply/Quote
I've said it before. Jackson Carman will be a starting olineman somewhere else next year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote