Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals out-coached in openers
It’s my theory that the bengals have been out-coached in season openers.

Evidence: bengals are the more talented team.
Bengals had no answer for new England’s scheme and couldn’t prevent them from winning using their run game/defense strategy.

Solution: find a way to utilize skill players to open up their defense.
Reality: failure in this regard decided the game.

Same result as previous openers where the offense just didn’t get going at all.

Bengals maybe didn’t anticipate how the pats would attack defensively?

Typically the bengals are a start late finish late team.
I’m not overly concerned right now.
I expect them to respond well.
They may lose next week too.
But they should heat up mid season as always.

To me this game the bengals didn’t have a lot of openings on offense and a better game plan could have resulted in more success.

Side note: good job by the patriots with the game plan and the execution. Maybe they will be a middle of the pack team this year.

Bottom line: bengals had the opportunity to start with a win against a less talented team at home and got out coached.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Zac is 1-10 in the first 2 games of the season. He has to be more aggressive. Today they played safe. BS!
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 05:48 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: It’s my theory that the bengals have been out-coached in season openers.

Bengals had no answer for new England’s scheme and couldn’t prevent them from winning using their run game/defense strategy.

To me this game the bengals didn’t have a lot of openings on offense and a better game plan could have resulted in more success.

Side note: good job by the patriots with the game plan and the execution. Maybe they will be a middle of the pack team this year.

Bottom line: bengals had the opportunity to start with a win against a less talented team at home and got out coached.

I’d challenge you to find one single game our coaches have won because they outcoached another coach.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are the only franchise that would employ Taylor as a HC.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 05:48 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: It’s my theory that the bengals have been out-coached in season openers.  

It's my theory that they are outcoached in preseason and thus are not ready for the season openers. The reality is the Burrow and the starters needed more than a single drive in a preseason game to get ready for the speed and aggressiveness of actual game action. Practice does not replicate that. Zac should take his cue from Andy Reid and Mahomes regarding preseason games. 

Not having the team prepared for a season opener means giving up a game when a game could be all that separates them from being in the playoffs --  or from homefield in the playoffs.

Yes, the Bengals will turn it around, but they should have fixed things in the preseason rather than needing to do it after their first game action is a loss.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure some will blame the players in the end, but this team was obviously not well prepared for today as the other team was. That falls on coaching staff with no help by the front office in the contract hoopla stuff.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure that I hate Zac Taylor as much as I hate David Bell, but it's close . . . REAL close.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

I would be concerned..and for one main reason..this injury Burrow suffered could easily be a career ender
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 05:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Zac is 1-10 in the first 2 games of the season. He has to be more aggressive. Today they played safe. BS!

I think it’s 2-9 looking straight down the barrel of 2-10.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 07:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think it’s 2-9 looking straight down the barrel of 2-10.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/9/8/24239275/bengals-1-10-first-2-weeks-season-zac-taylor-record

Quote:The Bengals are 1-10 in first 2 weeks of the season in Zac Taylor era
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 07:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/9/8/24239275/bengals-1-10-first-2-weeks-season-zac-taylor-record

Ok I was just going off of memory. Thought he had one other win.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 06:13 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'm sure some will blame the players in the end, but this team was obviously not well prepared for today as the other team was. That falls on coaching staff with no help by the front office in the contract hoopla stuff.

I'm not sure who to blame it on? But it sure seemed they were just phoning it in, a lot. They seemed lost, no confidence, and eager to get to the final whistle right from the start. 

I'm really still just at a loss for words.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 05:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Zac is 1-10 in the first 2 games of the season. He has to be more aggressive. Today they played safe. BS!

Agreed

What did we have two or three pass attempts over 20 yards? 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 08:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agreed

What did we have two or three pass attempts over 20 yards? 

Not many.  Im not sure I can really blame him because the interior of the offensive line played very bad.  Burrow had too much pressure up the middle so Im guessing he was just trying to get rid of the ball as soon as he could.  Its hard to throw downfield when your line is letting the defense in your face.
Reply/Quote
I’m all for chalking this up as a sports anomaly but there has to be an aspect of coaching Zac lacks in that is causing these slow starts

I am also very willing to say it’s a totally random event that just happens to plague Zac but i have to assume it’s something Zac is doing.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I have to guess Zac is not "mean" enough. Brady was talking about Mike Zimmer and McCarthy as old school coaches who will yell at the best players to keep everyone "accountable", and how he had one of those coaches. I would be surprised if Zac Taylor isn't a pushover. Burrow carried him. If he's not mean, he's definitely not smart enough to just be nice and that's it. Yes, Zac was a participant in a SB run and an AFC-C run, I wonder how many other teams want him as their HC.

But Burrow is also living on his past, we live in the present. I don't care what Burrow did 2+ years ago, what we need is production now. Zac shares something Marvin had problems with, looking from the outside, knowing how to motivate each player individually and separately. Poor motivation is a factor for Marvin's primetime and playoff record. It is human nature to lose resolve after you are paid a large paycheck. 

You damn know Mixon is running hard for more than just "to run hard". He wants to prove the Bungles wrong. He is jealous and petty enough to make that last a whole season for Stroud. It's too bad Zac didn't know how to unlock that pettiness over here; Zac doesn't know how to do that with our team/players. They looked like they overlooked the Patriots, how does that happen? You know that's the 1st thought to cross their mind, the chiefs are coming.

Or are we just that bad? Because the patriots are not just that good. Even a Gesecki or Hudson TD away, a 1pt win. Only giving up 16, we will somehow forget to talk about how terrible the defense looked too. If we won, we still have all the problems we saw in that game and it would have just been a narrow win over a(nother) junk team.

Has Burrow been solved, is it his injury/injuries, the game plan - or the combo. Burrow was almost 9 yards per attempt in 2020. That was Air Burrow. We have not seen it since. His O-line is not that much worse than that SB run. The commentary by Rapien and Burrow himself in preseason that he's still trying to figure out how to spin the ball (again), that it's like Peyton's Denver years. It won't spiral but it will get to where it needs to go. The spiral is easier to catch, we had one Zack Moss drop from a wobbler. 

It's going to take some time with the new WR/RB crew, we probably have to stay vanilla because of that. It's not boyd/higgins/mixon out there.

If this team is going to win a Super Bowl it has to be air burrow, they are not built any other way, and the defense is not a playoff caliber D. I think that's the elephant in the room.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 06:02 PM)fisherscatfan Wrote: The Bengals are the only franchise that would employ Taylor as a HC.

I thought the bills and 9ers games last year we had a great game plan and schemed players open.
Reply/Quote
Not just openers. Zac Taylor has a horrible record in our own division (10-20). When it comes down to having a plan against a known opponent it seems that the Bengals play their normal game and hope.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 06:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: It's my theory that they are outcoached in preseason and thus are not ready for the season openers. The reality is the Burrow and the starters needed more than a single drive in a preseason game to get ready for the speed and aggressiveness of actual game action. Practice does not replicate that. Zac should take his cue from Andy Reid and Mahomes regarding preseason games. 

Not having the team prepared for a season opener means giving up a game when a game could be all that separates them from being in the playoffs --  or from homefield in the playoffs.

Yes, the Bengals will turn it around, but they should have fixed things in the preseason rather than needing to do it after their first game action is a loss.

There definitely could be something to playing starters for half the preseason games.
Players could be more ready and coaches might not be there from a play calling perspective either.

I put the bulk of the blame on the play calling.
It was not inspiring.
I didn’t see any wide open looks or well timed plays to catch the defense off guard.

Give the patriots defense credit for being structurally sound.

An elite offense should be able to trump a well structured defense because the offense has the ball in a position to make the first move and advance.

From that standpoint it is a creative process calling plays to find openings.
It didn’t happen and the play calling was flat and lifeless.

You can’t win when the play calling doesn’t get the players going.
Utilize the players you have.
Scheme them open.

Andy Reid made a star out of his rookie on Thursday.
Zac could have given Burton a shot for a few plays.
He should have gotten Irwin going.

Credit the patriots for having the answer and knowing what to expect from the bengals offense.

But credit the bengals offensive coaching for not finding a way to respond with any success.

(09-08-2024, 06:13 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'm sure some will blame the players in the end, but this team was obviously not well prepared for today as the other team was. That falls on coaching staff with no help by the front office in the contract hoopla stuff.

I wonder if the trenches need some playing time to gel as units.

(09-08-2024, 07:01 PM)ERIC1 Wrote: I would be concerned..and for one main reason..this injury Burrow suffered could easily be a career ender

It makes no sense to assume the worst in any situation.
If you assume the worst not only could you be speaking it into existence, but you are already living in a lesser state expecting the worst before it arrives.
That’s no way to live life.
Take it as it comes.
No sense stressing yourself over unknowns.
Reply/Quote

his teams never look ready to play....  they dont seem to take preseason seriously
Reply/Quote