Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our offensive scheme
Our offensive scheme seems inadequate. Our wrs don't get open. The run game underperforms no matter how many lineman we bring in.

I think the issue is largely scheme. Going Cover 2 basically blows our offense up.

In our SB year, how many big plays came from Chase or Higgins making a crazy good catch or run after catch? That's not a scheme, it's relying on individual talent to overcome lack of scheme.

I saw some next generation stats and Burrow only threw 5 or 6 balls over 10 yards. Dink and dunk.

Now that Burrow is highly paid, it takes salary away from other parts of the team. So you have less veterans and more young guys to make mistakes. And our scheme doesn't help them.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 11:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offensive scheme seems inadequate. Our wrs don't get open. The run game underperforms no matter how many lineman we bring in.

I think the issue is largely scheme. Going Cover 2 basically blows our offense up.

In our SB year, how many big plays came from Chase or Higgins making a crazy good catch or run after catch? That's not a scheme, it's relying on individual talent to overcome lack of scheme.

I saw some next generation stats and Burrow only threw 5 or 6 balls over 10 yards. Dink and dunk.

Now that Burrow is highly paid, it takes salary away from other parts of the team. So you have less veterans and more young guys to make mistakes. And our scheme doesn't help them.

it's certainly not tony dungy or john gruden. much less belichick. the scheme is inadequate on both sides of the football for the bengals. for sure. you're right that it's never changed. if not for bell/bates in that AFC champ game turnover we might not have seen a superbowl.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 11:24 PM)WildCat Wrote: it's certainly not tony dungy or john gruden. much less belichick. the scheme is inadequate on both sides of the football for the bengals. for sure. you're right that it's never changed. if not for bell/bates in that AFC champ game turnover we might not have seen a superbowl.

The irony is the SB appearance probably got Zac a lifetime contract.
Reply/Quote
Dave Shulas son is Rams DC.
Reply/Quote
Can’t they just copy some other team’s shit?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Players make schemes work not the other way around. Scheme is not the issue the players are. Our offensive line has never been a + and when you take out Tee and have Chase on a pitch count the offense will struggle.
People put way too much blame or credit too coaches for the success or lack of success of the team. Any professional sports team success is predicated on the strength of the roster.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
To me, and I'm sure as helk no coach or scout but the Bengal offense looks so predictable. I can watch them and almost predict to myself what is coming by the players and formation. If I can see it imagine what these other PRO eyes see? It's no wonder they have so many 3 and outs.
Reply/Quote
Excuse any angry post you guys see from me about the offense but for years i thought this.

I thought the playcalling, the scheme, play designs, route combos were just bad. And when i get mad I’ll say stuff like this.

But im ngl yall i got really into watching all-22 game tape and rewatching games and 90% of the issues with our plays is the players screwing up. I would watch games and literally every bad play whether it be a pass play on offense or a run D play on defense, was because a PLAYER. Most of the plays if blocked up perfectly were good plays. Either a lineman mostly
Volson and Cappa are missing blocks due to lack of athleticism or guys are missing tackles or filling in the wrong run gaps.

It was always something. Very rarely did i feel i watched a bad playcall.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 11:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offensive scheme seems inadequate. Our wrs don't get open. The run game underperforms no matter how many lineman we bring in.

I do feel as if our offensive plays are never meant to get more than 5 yards and i feel like on D we’re rely on the idea of “rally to the ball” i bit too much.

Some games last year i literally sat and watched Lou allow 4 straight dump offs to backs. I wanna say Houston did that to us. Had whole drives where they called the same damn play cause Lou wouldn’t switch up
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 11:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offensive scheme seems inadequate. Our wrs don't get open. The run game underperforms no matter how many lineman we bring in.

Watching the McVay Rams tonight: crisp, deceptive, lots of motion, lots of isolation against favorable LB matchups. Bengals are stale by comparison….
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 11:59 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Watching the McVay Rams tonight:  crisp, deceptive, lots of motion, lots of isolation against favorable LB matchups.  Bengals are stale by comparison….

Yes. Creating and attacking mismatches...
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2024, 01:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

I mean Jones should’ve been penciled in the tackle
Breaker category but he seemed to lose 98% of his “wiggle” when he came here. One thing Boyd didn’t get enough credit for was making guys miss in the slot after his catch. He should’ve been our WR least likely to get a long YAC play but i swear he had the most after Chase.
We got NO YAC from anyone but Chase today.

ATP I’m failing to see who we are spending the money on if it’s not Tee. We have no other high impact players
-Housh
Reply/Quote

So Herbert somehow threw for even less yards than Burrow today and still won. Must be nice having a running game. Not surprised with Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman there.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 11:43 PM)J24 Wrote: Players make schemes work not the other way around. Scheme is not the issue the players are. Our offensive line has never been a + and when you take out Tee and have Chase on a pitch count the offense will struggle.
People put way too much blame or credit too coaches for the success or lack of success of the team. Any professional sports team success is predicated on the strength of the roster.

Yeah, that’s just not true. There’s countless examples of teams who seem to be able to win regardless of who their players are. Brady, Mahomes, whoever the QB is in San Fran under Shanahan.

Great players can mask a poor scheme. Biggest tell is what happens when your great players are hurt. Another tell is that our backups can never seem to win against other teams backups in preseason. Zac Taylor’s scheme is absolute shit.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2024, 06:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Imagine it's going to be hard to have a successful passing game when you are pretty much exclusively throwing to the middle and right and largely no more than 8 yards from the LoS.

Normally you see the smart OCs spread out defenses to create holes. Concentrating defenses instead is a bold strategy.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
I miss the Burrow that threw for 525 against the Ravens in 2021. That was a long time ago. Where the hell is Air Burrow. Maybe his wrist is not 100% and they're catering to his injuries, like last year.

Either choose to let your best players control the game (why are you punting late in the 4th, I guess our punter is our best player right now though) - or play to the other team's weaknesses. Which one were we trying to do yesterday? 
Reply/Quote
Seems like all of our receiver patterns are hooks. Are we not allowed to catch the ball while moving vertically? Did the league pass a rule just for the bengals?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 11:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offensive scheme seems inadequate. Our wrs don't get open. The run game underperforms no matter how many lineman we bring in.

I think I saw we were 4th in 2021 season for explosive pass plays, however that is defined. Then it declined to near bottom last couple of years, and yesterday only the BEars and Bengals had zero.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote