Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘Affluenza’ Teenager
Thought this story was quite interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/30/us/affluenza-ethan-couch-mexico.html

Apparently during this kid's trial (ran over and killed 4 pedestrians while driving drunk after he stole a vehicle) a defense was submitted and accepted that he was too spolied to realize right from wrong.

Even after getting off light; the mom and he fled to Mexico instead of going to a probation hearing.

Mom has since been apprehended and return; son is in custody in mexico awaiting deportation.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Is that his mom or Carrot Top?

[Image: 30texas-web2-master180.jpg]

[Image: CarrotTop.jpg]
Absolutely no respect for anyone who drinks and drives. This little shit should have been in jail for a long time for what he did.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-31-2015, 07:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Absolutely no respect for anyone who drinks and drives. This little shit should have been in jail for a long time for what he did.

Put yourself in the shoes of the loved ones of one of the pedestrians that were innocently killed. 

Imagine your reaction when you found out this kid got off light simply because he was spoiled.

(12-31-2015, 01:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thought this story was quite interesting:

Apparently during this kid's trial (ran over and killed 4 pedestrians while driving drunk after he stole a vehicle) a defense was submitted and accepted that he was too spolied to realize right from wrong.

Even after getting off light; the mom and he fled to Mexico instead of going to a probation hearing.

Mom has since been apprehended and return; son is in custody in mexico awaiting deportation.

Did anyone check the judge's bank account for sudden "affluenza?"
The original trial was a big story when it happened. Another example of how people who already have the money and the power can work a legal system better than a poor person.

But some folks around here would say "well, too bad...you should have worked harder to have money or you should have gotten a better lawyer" rather than look at legal system that is broken.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-01-2016, 10:47 AM)GMDino Wrote: The original trial was a big story when it happened.  Another example of how people who already have the money and the power can work a legal system better than a poor person.

But some folks around here would say "well, too bad...you should have worked harder to have money or you should have gotten a better lawyer" rather than look at legal system that is broken.

This story is more of an outlier than an example of a broken justice system.  The defense presented a possible reason for this kid's behavior and the judge bought it.  That's exactly how the system is supposed to work.  The fact that the defense was so radical, i.e. stupid, is what makes the case an outlier.  However, there's a possibility that I've heard of, and we've discussed at work, that makes more sense.  That being the judge gave him the ten years probation as a trap.  I'll explain.

This kid was tried for his original crime in juvenile court.  Now, I'm not familiar with how that works in Texas but what that means in CA is that the maximum length of any custodial sentence would be until the kid turns twenty-five.  This is the limit of juvenile jurisdiction and the custodial sentence would be served in a juvenile institution; in CA that would be the Division of Juvenile Justice, formerly CYA.  This means the absolute limit of the court's jurisdiction with this kid would have exhausted entirely at his 25th birthday.  By placing this kid on probation for ten years he ensured that he would be actively engaged in the system, and subject to reprimand, including detention, for any violations of probation.  If this kid violates probation past a certain age he can, and likely would, be sentenced in adult court to up to ten years per victim, so forty years, that would be served in an adult institution, i.e. state prison.

So really, and I believe this, the judge set this kid up to ultimately do more time than he would have if he had thrown the book at him in the first place.  Not violating your probation at all for ten years, especially when one of the conditions is do not consume any alcoholic beverages, is a virtual impossibility for a person like this kid.  You're already seeing the fruits of this long term plan, this kid's troubles are just beginning.  
(12-31-2015, 10:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Put yourself in the shoes of the loved ones of one of the pedestrians that were innocently killed. 

Imagine your reaction when you found out this kid got off light simply because he was spoiled.

Absolutely, man. I would be livid if I were a family member of the victims. This is the shit that creates vigilante super heroes.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Looks like now, they're trying to pay off the Mexicans to allow him to stay there.

Seriously, anyone remember that American kid that got caned for vandalism, somewhere in Southern Asia a few years back? I'm thinking that a severe caning, then try him as an adult for fleeing the country, would be fitting. Hope they throw the book at his mother, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-01-2016, 07:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looks like now, they're trying to pay off the Mexicans to allow him to stay there.

Reminds me of the case about the girl  that was murdered in Aruba (Natalie Holloway?). 

(12-31-2015, 01:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thought this story was quite interesting:

They fled because he got busted violating his probation and was up shits creek.

What's really sad is they apparently threw a going away party before they went on the lam.

I honestly think they should both get life in prison, although it will never happen.
(01-01-2016, 07:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looks like now, they're trying to pay off the Mexicans to allow him to stay there.

Mexico will take their money and then extradite the kid anyway.  Gotta get money from somewhere to pay for Trump's wall!
So, any Mexicans complaining about how we send all of our criminals down there?
(01-01-2016, 07:15 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This story is more of an outlier than an example of a broken justice system.  The defense presented a possible reason for this kid's behavior and the judge bought it.  That's exactly how the system is supposed to work.  The fact that the defense was so radical, i.e. stupid, is what makes the case an outlier.   

This.  The problem is not the system.  The problem seemed to be with this one judge.

If a judge really did want to accept this as a legitimate defense then he should punish the parents for the actions of the child they raised to be like that.  
(01-02-2016, 02:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So, any Mexicans complaining about how we send all of our criminals down there?

Not that I've heard, but there are some that are saying Mexico is violating his Human Rights by extraditing him.

You know the type. 

(01-02-2016, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  The problem is not the system.  The problem seemed to be with this one judge.

If a judge really did want to accept this as a legitimate defense then he should punish the parents for the actions of the child they raised to be like that.  

That's what I thought when I heard of this case.  If that's your defense for multiple homicides then the family of the victims now have an ironclad case to sue the crap out of the parents for everything they own.  Why this wasn't done is beyond me.  The defense essentially claimed that his parents raised a kid who is so irresponsible that he puts the lives of others at risk by his very existence.
(01-02-2016, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  The problem is not the system.  The problem seemed to be with this one judge.

So then...thread over?