Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘Go home!’ Mayor tweets after white nationalist tiki torch ‘flash mob’
(10-10-2017, 03:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: I believe we should denounce the Nazis every time they show their crying little faces.  Put their lilly white arses on television spewing their hate and show them for who they are:  cowards.

I believe the attention given to the NFL players is fine too...if we are talking about why they are protesting versus manufacturing something to rile up people.  

Just so you know that that’s what they are trying for. If they have one of their rallies and they are the only ones there, they will move on. Why? Because they are trying to spread their message. If nobody is listening or reporting it, then there is no reason to continue. You are saying you want to expose them for what they are as if they are trying to hide it. As if we don’t know that neo-Nazis are actually a bad thing.

You like the attention given to the NFL players so long as it’s the right attention?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-10-2017, 08:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Just so you know that that’s what they are trying for.  If they have one of their rallies and they are the only ones there, they will move on. Why?  Because they are trying to spread their message. If nobody is listening or reporting it, then there is no reason to continue. You are saying you want to expose them for what they are as if they are trying to hide it. As if we don’t know that neo-Nazis are actually a bad thing.

You like the attention given to the NFL players so long as it’s the right attention?

Sorry but I strongly disagree.

We should never let these crybaby wanna be nazis speak without pointing out that they are awful people and expose them to the world as awful people.

Of course I want it to be the "right" attention.  Why would that be a question?  

It makes sense to discuss what they are really protesting rather than the verbal vomit that has been the right wing noise machine spin about the flag and veterans.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-10-2017, 08:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sorry but I strongly disagree.

We should never let these crybaby wanna be nazis speak without pointing out that they are awful people and expose them to the world as awful people.

Of course I want it to be the "right" attention.  Why would that be a question?  

It makes sense to discuss what they are really protesting rather than the verbal vomit that has been the right wing noise machine spin about the flag and veterans.

Everybody knows they’re awful people. Nobody that isn’t one of them is confused about that. Who are you trying to educate? If they held a rally amongst themselves somewhere in the middle of Montana where nobody lived, would you prefer it be on national news or that nobody even know about it?

So NFL players can have their say, but with right wingers it’s verbal vomit. It is not possible for someone to consider their actions disrespectful because the players declared that it’s not disrespectful. I’ll have to remember that’s all I have to do and then everyone needs to shut up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-10-2017, 09:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Everybody knows they’re awful people. Nobody that isn’t one of them is confused about that. Who are you trying to educate?  If they held a rally amongst themselves somewhere in the middle of Montana where nobody lived, would you prefer it be on national news or that nobody even know about it?

So NFL players can have their say, but with right wingers it’s verbal vomit. It is not possible for someone to consider their actions disrespectful because the players declared that it’s not disrespectful. I’ll have to remember that’s all I have to do and then everyone needs to shut up.

Well it's like my grandfather said about his time in Europe during WWII.  When the Nazis started marching all the US troops just turned their backs and ignored them.  The US soldiers knew that only bad people would listen to the Nazis anyway so best to just ignore them.

Mellow

No one is reporting their tea party meetings...but when the march through a town you better be damn sure they should be talked about as the evil fool cowards they are.

Oh it's possible for someone to completely ignore what the protesters have said and just make up the "real reason" behind the kneeling so they get outraged.  I'd just rather we talk about the actual issue instead of making stuff up. All of this flag talk is coming from people like Ditka and Trump and the right who don't see any problem with the US at all ever.  Except for "ungrateful" minorities.  

So yes, it is verbal vomit when it's sole purpose to create some faux outrage in order to deny talking about the actual thing being protested.  Have the conversation or continue to be accused of avoiding it.  Pretty simple.
(10-10-2017, 09:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well it's like my grandfather said about his time in Europe during WWII.  When the Nazis started marching all the US troops just turned their backs and ignored them.  The US soldiers knew that only bad people would listen to the Nazis anyway so best to just ignore them.

Mellow

No one is reporting their tea party meetings...but when the march through a town you better be damn sure they should be talked about as the evil fool cowards they are.

Oh it's possible for someone to completely ignore what the protesters have said and just make up the "real reason" behind the kneeling so they get outraged.  I'd just rather we talk about the actual issue instead of making stuff up. All of this flag talk is coming from people like Ditka and Trump and the right who don't see any problem with the US at all ever.  Except for "ungrateful" minorities.  

So yes, it is verbal vomit when it's sole purpose to create some faux outrage in order to deny talking about the actual thing being protested.  Have the conversation or continue to be accused of avoiding it.  Pretty simple.
You’re comparing these people to the German army?

This is Us is on soon. Think I’ll go watch that. They’re Steelers fans you know.

(10-10-2017, 09:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You’re comparing these people to the German army?

This is Us is on soon. Think I’ll go watch that. They’re Steelers fans you know.

I'm saying we should always condemn them when they dare show their rat faces in public.  Sorry of others just want to ignore that they exist.  I will not.

Thanks.
(10-10-2017, 04:38 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: You know, its really strange to me how much everyone suddenly cares about white supremacists when this stuff has been going on for years.

Trump becomes president and now suddenly everyone cares about white racist guys with fire. It'll be interesting to see how much everyone suddenly doesn't care about stuff like this when Trump isnt president. 

I'm not sure if you're from Cincinnati, or how old you are, but massive unrest used to happen every year around the holidays. The KKK would erect crosses in fountain square and set them ablaze. They claimed this was their religious right, and eventually the city ended up having to ban non-KKK Christians, Jews, and any other religious groups from having public displays on the square.

I believe this went on through the mid-90s, and every year, there were tons of protests, and it was the biggest December topic of conversation in the city. If social media were a thing then, you'd likely see similar reactions to it.

I don't remember this stuff going on over the last 20 years. I'm 100% positive that there were far-right nazi rallies, but I don't recall hearing about them. Maybe it was the lack of heavy media coverage, or maybe it was the fact that it turned very, very violent this time, with the demonstrators wearing MAGA hats and claiming support from the president (which he only half-assedly denounced).

Can you show me any times in the last couple decades where there was unrest this violent? Not saying that it didn't happen...I'm actually curious if it was this bad all along.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

I know this is just local news, but folks from the Solidarity Cville group are shutting down a Planning Commission meeting, presently. It's the most ridiculous thing.
(10-10-2017, 09:44 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm not sure if you're from Cincinnati, or how old you are, but massive unrest used to happen every year around the holidays. The KKK would erect crosses in fountain square and set them ablaze. They claimed this was their religious right, and eventually the city ended up having to ban non-KKK Christians, Jews, and any other religious groups from having public displays on the square.

I believe this went on through the mid-90s, and every year, there were tons of protests, and it was the biggest December topic of conversation in the city. If social media were a thing then, you'd likely see similar reactions to it.

I don't remember this stuff going on over the last 20 years. I'm 100% positive that there were far-right nazi rallies, but I don't recall hearing about them. Maybe it was the lack of heavy media coverage, or maybe it was the fact that it turned very, very violent this time, with the demonstrators wearing MAGA hats and claiming support from the president (which he only half-assedly denounced).

Can you show me any times in the last couple decades where there was unrest this violent? Not saying that it didn't happen...I'm actually curious if it was this bad all along.

It consisted of four toothless rednecks in John Deere hats and they most certainly didn’t set it ablaze. It’s funny that the anti-defamation league said knocking down the cross was exactly what they wanted and that they were getting millions of dollars of free national publicity.

(10-10-2017, 10:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It consisted of four toothless rednecks in John Deere hats and they most certainly didn’t set it ablaze. It’s funny that the anti-defamation league said knocking down the cross was exactly what they wanted and that they were getting millions of dollars of free national publicity.

DId they not have them on fire? I must be getting my KKK memories jumbled together...

Apologies for the misinformation.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(10-10-2017, 11:45 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: DId they not have them on fire? I must be getting my KKK memories jumbled together...

Yeah that was a thing. They burned a cross and marched down by fountain square every year.
(10-11-2017, 01:46 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Yeah that was a thing. They burned a cross and marched down by fountain square every year.

No they erected a cross in Fountain Square in the middle of the night and ran away.  

(10-11-2017, 10:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No they erected a cross in Fountain Square in the middle of the night and ran away.  

Actually they got a permit (some really good people) and erected it and left.  I didn't find a story about them setting that one on fire.

Just getting back to their good, Christian roots.   Mellow
(10-11-2017, 10:06 AM)GMDino Wrote: Actually they got a permit (some really good people) and erected it and left.  I didn't find a story about them setting that one on fire.

Just getting back to their good, Christian roots.   Mellow

No I knew they had a permit.  They just did it in the middle of the night with a police presence.  

(10-10-2017, 11:45 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: DId they not have them on fire? I must be getting my KKK memories jumbled together...

After you've been to so many, they all sort of run together.  

(10-11-2017, 10:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No I knew they had a permit.  They just did it in the middle of the night with a police presence.  

That part could be true.  I just scanned the article to see if they set in on fire or marched it into town.

Although I don't know why it was covered at all. Should have just ignored them. Mellow
(10-11-2017, 10:26 AM)GMDino Wrote: That part could be true.  I just scanned the article to see if they set in on fire or marched it into town.

Although I don't know why it was covered at all.  Should have just ignored them.  Mellow

Funny you say that.

“These guys would have trouble getting together 25 members, but they’re on national television getting millions of dollars worth of free publicity,” said Alan Katchen, regional director of the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith.

“They want people to come in and knock down their cross,” Katchen said. “It creates good publicity for them. Good publicity, bad publicity, it doesn’t matter to them.”

(10-10-2017, 11:38 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Except they showed them on national tv every week.  

Don't worry, mobs of racists aren't going to be unique enough to be newsworthy soon enough.